Commercial Bock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent commercial Traditional Bock beer I could get in stores? I just tapped the Bock I brewed several months ago and it is good, however I have nothing to compare it to since I can't recall any standard Bock's I've tried. I just want to try one that is a good example of what mine should taste similar to.

Thanks guys/gals!

Commercial Examples: Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel, Pennsylvania Brewing St. Nick Bock, Aass Bock, Great Lakes Rockefeller Bock, Stegmaier Brewhouse Bock

I believe the great lakes is the only one you are likely to find in IL. I have only seen the Einbecker mai-ur-bock in the US. The German ones just don't get exported and US craft brewers are likely to just brew a doppelbock.

Apparently the Great Lakes one is pub exclusive...so that one won't happen. I'll look at the local Binnys, they got hundreds of beers and must have something. I was hoping to find a traditional German imported bock.

Otherwise, looks like I'll just have to rely on judges to tell me if my beer is on track.

I've seen the einbecker ur-bock on the east coast. I've seen anchor bock on tap in DC. Shiner Bock (the beer I learned to drink beer on) just arrived in the northeast, but yeah, it's no traditional bock. Some people label it as "texas bock". really it's a light lager with some color added.

That all said, I think the only traditional bock I've ever actually drank, was the one I brewed last summer whose recipe I got out of brewing classic styles.

It's a fantastic style, I wish it was more popular in the US.

Schell's Bock, New Ulm MN. Not sure if its available out the way. Now that I think about it, I don't know of hardly any bocks other than some stuff already mentioned. Not very popular with the masses? I love Bock beer. When I get my temp controlled freezer, going to try a Bock.

Leinenkugel's 1888 Bock should be available nationally. I don't know how it compares, but it isn't bad tasting.

do you have trader joe's around where you live? they brew a pretty damn good helles-bock, only slightly different.

I'm told there's a Trader Joe's around me,haven't found it yet. Maybe some other part of Westlake than around JW Dover brew supply.
We used to love Stroh's bock when it was sold. I'd always hoped they'd bring it out again,but to no avail.
And the Leinie 1888 I'd have to try again. Just can't remember it. But their sure aren't many bock's left out there anymore. It's a real shame,A good bock is addictive!:mug:

Saint Arnold's has their Spring Bock. Of course, it's out of season right now and they only distribute in Texas and Louisiana, so that probably doesn't help you.

Yuengling produces a Bock each spring; I spoke with Dick Yuengling at the brewery this past November and he stated that it is adjunct based (corn) too, like the rest of their beers, but otherwise sticks to a traditional Bock recipe dating back to the early days of the brewery in the 19th century.

Yuengling produces a Bock each spring; I spoke with Dick Yuengling at the brewery this past November and he stated that it is adjunct based (corn) too, like the rest of their beers, but otherwise sticks to a traditional Bock recipe dating back to the early days of the brewery in the 19th century.

lame.

oh! that reminds me of Pioneer Brewing Oderbolz Bock. awesome beer! but, i'm not sure they make it anymore...

I went to local liquor store and could find zero traditional bocks. All I found was maibocks, helles, dunkels and the like. A bit disappointing. Shiner was there, but I don't consider it a true bock (even though I doubt I really know what a true bock is). I'll have to send it in for competition in hopes that someone else can tell me if I have brewed it to style or not.

Latest posts

Back