Columbus IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNic

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm planning on brewing an all Columbus IPA with all late hops additions. Here's the recipe I have planned:

9.75# 2-row
1# Crystal 77
.75# Carapils

Columbus 1.5 oz (30 min)
Columbus 2.5 oz (20 min)
Columbus 1 oz (10 min)
Columbus 1 oz (5 min)
Columbus 2 oz (dry hop 7 days)

Mash @ 149* for 60 minutes

Safale US-05

Let me know what you think.

I like the simple grain bill and the predicted srm. The hop schedule looks pretty good but the ibu are high for the ipa style guidelines. You could cut some of the 20 and 30 min hops back or add some extra two row to help with a bit more of a balance. All columbus should be interesting so be sure to let me know how it turns out. BTW how is the brewing scene in the butt hole of the earth lol. I only say that because I lived there while I went to school.

Are you shooting for a standard American IPA? Quick calculations show that recipe to be about 1.062 and close to 12 SRM, which is OK, but the IBU is off the charts like 130+ if your Columbus are in the 14% range. That's a pucker fest! If you cut each addition to .75 oz. you'd be in the 62 IBU range, which is more like it...

BTW how is the brewing scene in the butt hole of the earth lol.

Don't know, I have never brewed in Killeen. :D Or Philly, or Dearborn, or.......

But I have brewed in Provo, UT and if there is ever a brewing butthole in the earth. :D

It's all subjective I guess.

Are you shooting for a standard American IPA? Quick calculations show that recipe to be about 1.062 and close to 12 SRM, which is OK, but the IBU is off the charts like 130+ if your Columbus are in the 14% range. That's a pucker fest! If you cut each addition to .75 oz. you'd be in the 62 IBU range, which is more like it...

I'm only doing a 3 gallon boil and topping up with water.

IMHO, consider splitting one of the late additions or the dry hop half and half with the Columbus and a different hop for complexity.

Columbus will definitely get you the bitterness and there is nothing wrong with highlighting one hop either. But I've had some very one note IPAs in the past too.

Im planning a colombus and cascade ipa, just got a pound of each from hops direct. First time using colombus.

Hey guys. I'm planning on brewing an all Columbus IPA with all late hops additions. Here's the recipe I have planned:

9.75# 2-row
1# Crystal 77
.75# Carapils

Columbus 1.5 oz (30 min)
Columbus 2.5 oz (20 min)
Columbus 1 oz (10 min)
Columbus 1 oz (5 min)
Columbus 2 oz (dry hop 7 days)

Mash @ 149* for 60 minutes

Safale US-05

Let me know what you think.

I did a 100% Columbus IPA a couple of years ago and it really showed me what flavors it imparts. I served it to my home brew club and they nicknamed it "Garlic Beer". I found it undrinkable. I ended up blending it with a 100% Cascade IPA and it was one of my favorite beers.

While different years and different fields have a varying amounts of the dank, Onion/Garlic flavor components, it is still there at some level and in a 100% Columbus IPA, you will find what I am talking about.

I now really enjoy blending Columbus at about a 25% ratio with other "C" hops like Cascade, Centennial, and other hops with a good citrus component. I like the dank Onion/Garlic mixed with the bright citrus flavors.

I did a 100% Columbus IPA a couple of years ago and it really showed me what flavors it imparts. I served it to my home brew club and they nicknamed it "Garlic Beer". I found it undrinkable. I ended up blending it with a 100% Cascade IPA and it was one of my favorite beers.

While different years and different fields have a varying amounts of the dank, Onion/Garlic flavor components, it is still there at some level and in a 100% Columbus IPA, you will find what I am talking about.

I now really enjoy blending Columbus at about a 25% ratio with other "C" hops like Cascade, Centennial, and other hops with a good citrus component. I like the dank Onion/Garlic mixed with the bright citrus flavors.

The reason I wanted to do all Columbus is because Avery's Hog Heaven is an all Columbus barleywine, but it tastes like an IPA. I've never tasted anything resembling garlic from it.

The reason I wanted to do all Columbus is because Avery's Hog Heaven is an all Columbus barleywine, but it tastes like an IPA. I've never tasted anything resembling garlic from it.

I have heard from a local brewer who recently went to Hop Unions Hop School that Columbus is one of the hops that is picked before being completely ripe to minimize the dank Onion/Garlic flavor. That's what I meant by the comment about different years and different fields have a varying amounts of the dank, Onion/Garlic flavor components.

Don't know, I have never brewed in Killeen. :D Or Philly, or Dearborn, or.......

But I have brewed in Provo, UT and if there is ever a brewing butthole in the earth. :D

It's all subjective I guess.

I live in west valley and have spent some time in Memphis.
I agree to both.

Latest posts

Back