collecting caps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This little sweetheart from Craftsman works pretty good. :mug:

get a piece of soft wood , say pine, about 3/4 thick, 5 inches long, 2 inches wide. screw two pan head screws about 1/2 inch apart and 1 inch from the end leaving about 1/2 inch sticking out. we use these for collecting beer caps in our local chapter of the BCCA Beer Can Collectors Association. once you get your caps, you can display them in these black jewelry holders that fit about 25 in each one with different spots for each one. wish i could get you a picture.

I collect cool bottle caps and im sure many of you probably do, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for opening a beer without completely annihilating the cap! Or maybe there is like a nice opener that doesn't ruin them, I would be willing to buy it!

Maybe a few.

The ideas here are great for it. Also, if you use any opener that isn't pointed, just go around slowly lifting a section at a time til you can take the cap off. .

IMG-20120407-00312.jpg

Stauffbier said:
A lot of people (including myself) turn them into fridge magnets. You can either glue them to a 3/4" round magnet or just let the magnet hold them, which is what I do.. Then use them to cover your keezer, kegerator, ferm chamber, etc.. :mug:

I like this idea! Where do you get the magnets from?

you can get them from any craft store or craft section at a wal mart or something. Don't get the strip magnets. they suck. get the strong ones.

Use this....this is just like the one I use, just pry of slowly and they work perfect. You can pick one up at walmart or smiths for 4 or 5 bucks! Thats what I've been using for years!

i use the bottom of a bic lighter, grip right below the cap, insert lighter with index finger as fulcrum, pry off. Been doing this since high school. No damage to lid, can even snap it back on the bottle when swmbo hollers you in to clean up your mess or whatever

+1

Try Hobby Lobby or Michael's if you have either of those stores in your area. Otherwise, as mentioned you can likely get them at Walmart, but I've never looked there..

LandoLincoln said:
They sell paint can openers at hardware stores that have a bottle opener on the other end. They remove bottle caps without denting them.

+1 on this

i have a pretty good amout of caps, now finding some cool way to display them.................?

I've always wanted to build a coffee table with a recessed top, and arrange the lids on that, then use one of those pour-in resins that you sometimes seen used as a bar top surface...

Only took my summer before my senior year of college but made this

IMG_99405188736622.jpg

I have a regular size zip lock bag full of them,but some dented. From US,Germeny & Guatamala. Don't have a use for them,but I saved'em anyway...

I use a spoon in the Bic lighter method. Works perfectly.

This thread reminds me of the “collection” of caps that I had in college. I had some caps from Blue Moon when they used to make a bunch of flavours. I seem to remember a raspberry cream ale or something…

I do this too and people give me weird looks when I want to open my own beer using my lighter. My collection is enough to fill up a whole Mass glass (actually it is overflowing). I only keep new ones, and sometimes similar ones if they changed the color or design (I have like 4-5 generations of Shiner Bock caps over the last 10 years, used to really like it during high school and college).

We have been having caps for years, recently I started hot gluing them to the front of the kegerator.

Back