Collar insulation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I am about to add fans to my keezer and I think I might also insulate the collar. Last time I went to Lowe's I picked up some Styrofoam panels and it was a disaster of a mess when it came to cutting. I saw a few other extremely large foam panels that I hope will be better. To be honest I didn't get the large panels because I didn't think they'd fit in the car and I didn't have a knife with me. But what I don't know, is there a certain type I should get? I can't be sure but it seems like they had two different types but I couldn't see what made them different. Also, any tips on installation or what to use to make them stick?

All this assumes that insulating the 10x2 collar is a good idea but I'm willing to listen to other opinions.

I used the white styrafoam that has a slick plastic coating on it. I cut it on my tablesaw, which worked very well. I am wondering if spray adhesive would be enough to make it stick. If not, gorilla glue should do the trick.

I'd stay clear of the white foam that resembles a million little white foam balls glued together... it's not as friendly to cut, and has a terrible R-value.

My suggestion would be something like Super Tuff R (or competing brand) [polyisocyanurate] insulation sheething with foil backing, which is my favorite, and is what I used... on my keezer and my house... because it is excellent quality and has a very good R-value to thickness ratio... the edges clean up great with foil tape, which gives a nice industrial finish to the inside of the keezer. You could also go with the pink/blue polystyrene board, which is more of a closed cell foam than the white stuff referenced above. Not as good as super tuff R (or equivalent), but still decent in the R-value department. Both cut well with a razer blade, skill saw with a backwards plywood blade, or table saw (also better with a backwards plywood blade).

BAD:
Aluminum-Oxide-Ceramic-Foam-Insulation-Material.jpg

BETTER:
30727553-936b-4564-b5aa-c0bd3c8290aa_300.jpg

BEST:
041343001194lg.jpg

PS) How did you NOT have a knife at the hardware store? They have a million razer blades and what-not? I can't begin to count the number of times I've borrowed a knife or tape measure while I'm there.... just make sure you put it back on the shelf and not in your pocket when you leave.

with out insulating your collar you are letting heat into your keezer thus bringing the temp higher and making the compressor work harder than it needs to.

-=Jason=-

A solid 2 x whatever collar is a decent insulator not to mention that the cold air stays in the bottom of the keezer. I'm putting a collar on my keezer within the next week or so, I'll plug in my Killawatt after work and get some hard values to determine if there is a value to adding insulation or not...

I haven't taken any type of scientific measurements or anything, but before I installed insulation, the outside of the collar felt cold. After installing it, it feels the same as room temp, so I'm assuming it's now more energy efficient. I used 3/4 inch pink polystyrene board. It cuts easily with a utility knife. I attached it and sealed the seams/corners with silicone sealant.

"get away with" no insulation, and "operate efficiently without insulation" are two completely different animals.

I'd be willing to bet that my home could still be warm without insulation in the winter as well... but damn I'd rather not pay for all that natural gas when the furnace never shut off....
Poor choice of words on my part. Obv more insulation will be more efficient.

What I meant was that people 'get away' with no insulation in a similar way that average auto drivers get away without wearing NASCAR flame-suits w/ HANS devices. Sure, A NASCAR flame-suit would make drivers 'safer' but they just aren't necessary.

Would be curious to see what others use to make it stick as well.

I'm using the blue middle-grade stuff from Lowe's as well. I have a bunch of wood glue that is water-resistant that I'm hoping will work fine.

liquid nails FTMFW... what does it NOT do?

I'll be using it to attach my granite tiles to the top of my keezer

-=Jason=-

I bought two 4x8 sheets of the DOW tuff 1" stuff @ Home Depot tonight and went through the self checkout lane to find out it's $25.00 a sheet! Someone is screwing US because you can get a tax writeoff on insulation so I kind of think the retailers are sticking it to YOU. Anyway I said WTF and the waterbuffalo said ,HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IT IS WORTH .,and I said 12.00 dollars and she said ok fine have a nice night.????? Ale needs heat.!!!!!!

I just use 2 screws and 2 fender washers for each panel to bolt it onto the wood. That way if I have to replace it do to molding (cause I also put it in my ferm chambers in the same way) I don't have to deal with adhesive. Don't have any molding yet, but thought it was a good idea.

I just cut the top part of the foam at an angle so it 'wedges' into the top part of the lid and the bottom of the collar is where the washers are. Tight as tight can be.

i made my collar with 3/4" birch plywood, stained it black. I then insulated it and the lid with the super tough foil coated insulation, 1/2 thick. I also left the stock insulation in the lid. I then spay glues the pieces in place, worked fine. I just cut it with a razor knife and a straight board. After a day I siliconed all the joints. Not only did I want too insulate but also seal the wood from the condensation/humidity within the keezer. It also looked pretty slick when completed.
-Joe

Back