Cold room questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layne

Reaction score
OK, instead of adding more coolers/fridges to my backyardbrewpub, I think it's time to build a cold room.

I'm thinking of moving all fermenting,serving and storage into a room.

Question. Can I put a freezer (or what ever) in the cold room, and 'heat' for fermenting temps? Kinda backwards, but, That way everything would be in one place.

Thanks Gila.
I'm thinking maybe 8x10-ish
I would want
- a place for a fermenting chamber large enough for several carboys,sankes, or corneys.
-a place for 6 or so serving corneys (with taps in the wall by my bar)
-a place for storing assorted beers,soft drinks, ect.
- ANd I'd like to have a glass door to open with racks for can/bottle beers and soft drinks, like in a convenience store.

I would just get some used chest freezers, install Johnson Control units on them, setting each for the desired temp range, and you're good to go... The unit with the glass door could be a bit expensive. Check out ads for places going out of business (stores, restaurants, etc.) that are selling such items. With a little hunting, and some patience, you should be able to locate everything on your list.

FYI, the insulation in the lids of chest freezers is crap. My heater runs more in the winter in my freezer than the freezer runs in the summer. I'd definitely look into adding insulation to it if I were in your situation. Even a 1/2" piece of R5 sheathing glued under the lid would help...

OK, what about this scenario.

Make the room 65-67 degrees. Ferment in cornys,carboys,sankes,or conicals anywhere 9in the room.
Have a freezer for cold crashing and or lagering.
Have a freezer for serving kegs (this would be right behind the backwall of my bar, so no more need for a keggerator, taps in the back wall)( 8 or 10 of them if I want)
I could also store grain in there also.

I think this may be a better option than a cold room at serving temps and 'warming up' for fermenting and storage.
Thoughts?
Ideas?
Thanks!

OK, what about this scenario.

Make the room 65-67 degrees. Ferment in cornys,carboys,sankes,or conicals anywhere 9in the room.
Have a freezer for cold crashing and or lagering.
Have a freezer for serving kegs (this would be right behind the backwall of my bar, so no more need for a keggerator, taps in the back wall)( 8 or 10 of them if I want)
I could also store grain in there also.

I think this may be a better option than a cold room at serving temps and 'warming up' for fermenting and storage.
Thoughts?
Ideas?
Thanks!

this idea sounds better/ more logical

Latest posts

Back