cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemet

Reaction score
I have an Citra Ale that I dry hopped 5 days ago. I was planning on just bottling in a few days- but I just got this brand new frigidare 7CU chest freezer.

I havnt played with the controls at all- but I assume I can drop that think on the highest setting- for 30-48 hours- and it wont freeze...

Should I be concerned about potential freezing? Is it worth it to cold condition- the beer hasnt moved a DROP- its settled nicely- hasnt moved in a month- i dont want to walk it outside- and crash it in the 30 temps we have... too much moving around.

thoughts on this? go for it with the chest freezer? walk it outside?

Mostly you're cold crashing to clear the beer, so it's a personal preference. If I wanted to cold crash in your situation I would put it in the chest freezer as opposed to walking it outside and risking an accident. I doubt it will freeze; just keep an eye on it. It won't take long for the hops and sediment to sink.

Back