Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerdude71

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm still a newb... I have read many posts regarding this, and am still confused. I am using Mr Beer, and want to put the LBK right in the fridge for a couple days. Np there.

What I am not sure about is... do I bottle right after I take it out of the fridge, or let it warm up a bit? And do I consider the temp at time of bottling, or the temp it will sit at in regards to the amount of sugar to add for carbing?

thanks
G

You put the regular amount of sugar in. It doesn't matter if you warm it up or not. You are going to bottle condition at room temp so it will warm up then.

Hi Soccerdude

Not familiar with the accronyms LBK and Np. I've never brewed in a Mr Beer kit either.

Cold crashing works very well to clear your beer. If you bottle it cold and then add sugar (tabs?) fermentation won't take off right away because the yeast will be sleeping from the cold. The beer will need to warm up and then the yeast will wake up and once they do they will do their thing eating the remaining sugar, peeing a little bit of alcohol and farting CO2 which carbonate the beer. After sitting at room temp for 2 weeks stick one bottle in the refrigerator for a day or two, the beer temp will lower which helps the CO2 dissolve into the beer. Then give one a try, if not enough fizziness, let them go at room temp for another week, chill one down a few days and give it another try. Repeat a bottle a week until you get what you like. Three weeks should do it.

Over the weekend I bottled my first batch from the MR Beer as well. I took a small sample from the LBK before placing in the fridge and it was pretty cloudy. After a day and a half in the fridge, I yanked it out and bottled right away. It was incredibly clear after the short time and a definite advantage to the size of the LBK. I highly recommend this method!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back