Cold Crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. with stouts the stars of the show are the dark or roasted grains. The color, body and "dark flavors" get all of the attention.
Hops take backstage with this style.

I have a question about cold crashing. So if I plan on only using a primary after my FG is reached can I cold crash in my primary before i go to kegging and bottling? or does it need to go to a secondary? but I was just trying to avoid oxidation and possible contamination

I have a question about cold crashing. So if I plan on only using a primary after my FG is reached can I cold crash in my primary before i go to kegging and bottling? or does it need to go to a secondary? but I was just trying to avoid oxidation and possible contamination

Nope you dont need secondary. Cold Crash Away (after youve reached proper attenuation and given the yeasties enough time to munch on their flaws).

Nope you dont need secondary. Cold Crash Away (after youve reached proper attenuation and given the yeasties enough time to munch on their flaws).

Ok so cold crash away. Im gonna keg but I am also gonna bottle a 12pk with priming sugar will there still be enough yeast for carbonation?

Ok so cold crash away. Im gonna keg but I am also gonna bottle a 12pk with priming sugar will there still be enough yeast for carbonation?

If you are only crashing for a few days than yes you should have enough yeast. If you leave it sit in the fridge for a month I would say that it might take a bit longer to carb.

If you are only crashing for a few days than yes you should have enough yeast. If you leave it sit in the fridge for a month I would say that it might take a bit longer to carb.

ok awesome. I only plan on crashing for a few days no longer then a week. Thanks for the advice

Back