Cold Crashing: Secondary Question(s)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conway

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an India Red Ale that i will be racking to the secondary next week.
Here is my plan:

2 weeks dry hopping in the secondary carboy at ~68 F (home grown hops)
I will Cold Crash in the secondary for about 7 days at ~34 F - 38 F.
I read that the hops will sink to the bottom while cold crashing that will help to rack better into the bottling bucket.

Rank to my bottling bucket cold and prime up with corn sugar.

3 weeks at 70 F in the bottles.

Question: Do i need the airlock on the secondary carboy when it's in the refridge (not much head room)?

Will 3 wks be a good amount of extra time?

I will not be adding any additives to the cold crash. I just want to see how clear it will get without adding anything.

Are these good steps to take?

Cheers.

I only rack to a carboy to cold crash when I need my bucket for another batch, but I don't use an airlock. I just sanitize some foil or plastic wrap over the mouth.

I'll only rack to a secondary to dry hop if I plan on reusing or washing the yeast. Cold crashing for 3 days will be fine. I always use an airlock (although not necessary as long as it is sealed). And it's called racking not ranking. Everything else looks fine.

Thanks for the info!

lol (rank)...hard to type on a flat screen.

I will try for 3 days (cold crashing) and see how it looks.

If it's already fermented out you don't really need an airlock. Just cover it with saran wrap or foil or something.

If it's already fermented out you don't really need an airlock. Just cover it with saran wrap or foil or something.

Thanks! I have to use my main refridge and glad to hear the info. Wife will not be to happy but i do all the cooking...lol...only 3 days.

One thing i forgot to ask.

I am going to dry hop for about 10 day and then cold crash for about 3 days.

Can i add any gelatin or isinglass to the secondary right before i put it into the refridge?

Would the gelatin or isinglass work in 3 days?
I read that you can add isinglass or gelatin into the secondary after racking it. I will be holding a temp of 68 F for dry hopping and did not know if the finning would get messed up with the heat before cold crashing it.

Cheers!

I've used gelatin before, but have found that I don't need it.

I would think that the cold crash should do the job

I've used gelatin before, but have found that I don't need it.

I would think that the cold crash should do the job

Thanks!

I will just cold crash it for three days and see what happens without the additives.

I've never added finings but I also find that the cold crash clears the beer pretty well.

Back