Cold crashing D47

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfelsch

Reaction score
I may have pampered my yeast too much. I am using D47. SG 1.128. I was hoping to end up with a semi-sweet mead. All of my calculations were based on the yeast not exceeding 14% abv however I am currently over 16% and SG has dropped to 1.008. i am trying to avoid sulfates and back sweetening. Any thoughts or experience on cold crashing and racking to set the yeast back enough that the alcohol will finally do its job on them?

I'd suggest adding honey to the desired FG, let it ferment, then repeat untill the yeast reaches it's limit.

I am trying to avoid adding more honey late in the fermentation because I have been told the back sweetened honey will not taste the same as if all the honey had been added up front. Additionally, Ken Schramm advises against it in "The Compleat Meadmaker"

I have already gone past my target gravity. On this batch I will have to decide if I would rather enjoy it dryer than I had originally planned, or embrace back sweetening.

For future batches, it would be helpful to know if cold crashing and racking is a viable way to keep the yeast from fermenting far past their rated alcohol tolerance.

For future batches, it would be helpful to know if cold crashing and racking is a viable way to keep the yeast from fermenting far past their rated alcohol tolerance.

For future reference;
I would rack it...and then cold crash (38F or less) This should be enough to stop fermentation at your desired SG!

Although I'm not positive with d-47 (if you want to stop your current batch)... it is definitely worth a try and you've got nothing to lose . I know many people have cold crashed using other yeast strains and had success stopping fermentation.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and put them outside last night with wet rags on the carboys. It is getting down to 37-41 degrees at night here in Portland Oregon. Highs will reach 50. I can see the yeast is settling out this morning. I will probably let them chill overnight again then rack them tomorrow morning. Or perhaps I should give them 3-4 days of chilling?

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and put them outside last night with wet rags on the carboys. It is getting down to 37-41 degrees at night here in Portland Oregon. Highs will reach 50. I can see the yeast is settling out this morning. I will probably let them chill overnight again then rack them tomorrow morning. Or perhaps I should give them 3-4 days of chilling?

Racking (racking alone can inhibit some of your fermentation) it off the yeast is generally the preferred way, prior to cold crashing.
Cold crashing will also help with clearing the mead if you rack first.
So I would rack it now then cold crash for several days.

Not sure how well a cold crashing will stop the fermentation if the temp is getting above the 38F
Also going from cold to warmer during the day WILL void the "cold crash warranty"
Can you put it in a refrigerator?

I am fermenting in 14 gallon demijohns and no walk in cooler yet. :) I did not have any yeast settled out yet last night so I figured racking would be fruitless. Now that it is getting chilled, the yeast is settling out. I will rack it now that some yeast is settling then put it back outside for a few days before I rack it again.

I know that there is no cold crash warranty, I am just concerned that If I don't slow it down, it is going to keep going to 17% and beyond and end up completely dry. I figure the yeast population is so large and so strong, even with a bunch of drunken soldiers in their, the alcohol is not stopping them. Hopefully the reduction in population by racking plus the arctic blast on the tropical army will knock them back hard enough that the alcohol will do the rest of them in before all the sugar is gone. Hopefully?

I know that there is no cold crash warranty, I am just concerned that If I don't slow it down, it is going to keep going to 17% and beyond and end up completely dry. I figure the yeast population is so large and so strong, even with a bunch of drunken soldiers in their, the alcohol is not stopping them. Hopefully the reduction in population by racking plus the arctic blast on the tropical army will knock them back hard enough that the alcohol will do the rest of them in before all the sugar is gone. Hopefully?

Sounds like a good plan! Good Luck!

Back