Cold crashing at an angle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocksideBrew

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried cold crashing there primary at a slight angle? My thinking is that the trub and everything would settle and cake to a side, allowing for a somewhat clear space on bottom of bucket to siphon from.

It would work, but when you get to the bottom of the bucket, it will all start sliding towards the siphon. Unless you cold crash for long enough for the cake to get really compacted.

I have a minibrew 15 gallon conical that I use for 10 gallon batches. It's awesome! Looking to do a 5 gallon batch in bucket to start pipeline since I have started kegging as well.

The angle thing seems like a great idea. I don't have a spare refrigerator so I'm thinking I might just cold crash in a tub of water. Any thoughts on this? I am planning on just throwing my thermometer in there and adding ice if needed. What temp. Is good?

You cannot crash cool in a tub of water. Just rack out of the carboy and call the last inch a "donation" to the sewer crocidiles.

You cannot crash cool in a tub of water.
I'd say a pretty good idea. Wrap a blanket around it to insulate and keep switching out frozen water bottles. Keep it as close to freezing as you can. Done on a basement floor that already cool, this could work.

There are times when there's no room in the fridge.
Thanks for the idea.

edit:
And to the OP. Cold crash it level. Tilt when racking.

Back