Cold crashing after fermenting under pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfgangVonFrankenStein

Wolfgang Von Frankenstein
Reaction score
I recently did a 10 gallon batch of Hazy NEIPA.
I fermented at 67F under ~8 psi in my Unitank.
After I hit terminal SG (1.013), I cold crashed at 35F for two days.

This is the first time I used the spunding valve to ferment under pressure.
Normally, after two days of cold crashing and I can easily remove the trub and spend hops through the bottom valve. The waste normally comes out thick (almost like green sausage). This time I did not get that level of compaction and I wasted too much beer trying to separate the waste from the beer.

I was wondering if it was due to the carbonation and if there was something I could do better next time.

Thanks

I don’t do any of what your stating, but I think you are supposed to drop your trub before spunding.

When I got my unitank and spunding valve, I fermented under pressure because it was cool, new, and I could. The new eventually wears off and you have to ask why am I doing this?

So ... why?

In a hazy ipa, you want the esters from the yeast. You're not jacking up the temp to go faster, this style already goes fast.

I found exactly what you did. Dumping under fermented pressure leads to a wasteful mess. Also, the yeast harvested, if that's what you want, is damaged by sudden decrease in pressure.

Theres times it makes sense, like a lager at higher temp, where theres little to nothing to dump. Theres times where it also just doesn't make sense, like with IPAs.

Thanks for the info @Jtvann.
I fermented under pressure because it was cool, new, and I could.
Exactly why I gave it a shot.
I guess I was also thinking I'd reduce the time I usually need to carb in the keg.
Next time I'll just let it run it's course naturally.

Back