Cold crash on vanilla?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps a slightly weird question. I am brewing a clone of Anderson Valley Summer Solstice - a/k/a Cerveza Crema. I have fermented with Imperial Yeast Cable Car (California Commons, I think) for eight days at about 61F and have just added half an ounce of vanilla extract to the fermenter (no secondary - added to original fermenter). I want to cold crash now. Is that wrong? If it is wrong, how long should I allow for the extract to achieve full flavoring goodness before cold crashing? I'd like to be able to drink this sooner rather than later.

My thinking is that I am not looking for a secondary fermentation like I would be with fruit, I am just looking for the flavoring. Since I am not fermenting, shouldn't crashing now be OK?

Cold crashing wont mess up the extract. I add stuff like that right before kegging. Technically beer in a keg is sort of like cold crashing .

Back