Cold crash in garage - bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaotica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Newb question number 2,435,551... I've been able to google my way to most answers, but not this one.

I'd like to cold crash a batch that has in primary for 20 days. My garage is the only good option. Here in Charlotte area temps will bounce from 30's to high 50's each day. Is that ok for the beer?

Also, if I cold crash in the garage, how much will I disturb the beer lugging it back into the house for racking to bottling bucket? I'm thinking maybe bring it in and give it 24 hours to settle again.

Thanks.

I can't answer your first question (I am lucky enough to have fridge space right now) but as for your second question about lugging it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you aren't shaking the (bucket? carboy?) it shouldn't be disturbed anymore than it would have been had you choosen to move it in order to siphon into the bottling bucket.

Is your beer particularly cloudy? If not I would not go through the trouble of cold crashing. I bring my fermenter to my bottling area then gather and sanitize all the equipment, boil the sugar solution then bottle. By that time everything has settled.

IMO If you cold crash then move it into the house to rack to the bottling bucket you have just undone the results of the cold crash.

That's kinda what I suspected about undoing the cold crash by moving the bucket. This is my second batch, the first is very cloudy but I did 17 days in Primary and then bottled. This batch will be 28 days in primary so hopefully that will help. Just don't want a brown ale that looks like a wheat beer.

When you check your final gravity look at the sample. If it is too cloudy, cold crash. I have started using Irish Moss. It seems to work in clearing up the beer.

I guess if you are really careful you could move the fermenter without stirring things up too much.

If it tastes good I don't really care if it might be cloudy. How about an opaque stein?

Maybe just had a mini epiphany... I can put the bucket on a work bench during cold crash and pop the lid and rack right there when it's time. Then move the bottling bucket inside.

Appreciate the replies. Anyone have thoughts on the temp fluctuations?

Maybe just had a mini epiphany... I can put the bucket on a work bench during cold crash and pop the lid and rack right there when it's time. Then move the bottling bucket inside.

Appreciate the replies. Anyone have thoughts on the temp fluctuations?

Just did this in Durham. Moved it to a work bench, cold crashed for a couple days, and racked to bottling bucket in the garage. Then took the bottling bucket inside for bottling. Worked great. Did seem to help packing the hop sediment a little.

Back