Cold Crash - How clear, how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first try at cider. I used some very cloudy orchard cider from Whole Foods, pectin enzyme and Brewers Best yeast. Nothing else. I started at 1.054 and cold crashed on Monday at 1.008. It is much less cloudy than where I started, but it still seems pretty cloudy.

Will this clear eventually, or does my starting product determine my final result? How clear should it get and how long should it take?

It's a personal thing. I like mine clear enough to read through, but some folks leave 'em 'scrumpy'. With pectic enzyme they usually clear within 2 weeks.

38409440115_c3a704a741_z.jpg

Starting product does not have any relationship to the possible clarity and brightness of the final product. If the final gravity is 1.008 (about 3 ounces of sugar/gallon?) then it is very likely that there is enough CO2 in the cider to saturate the liquid and the presence of that gas will help keep fruit, yeast, pectins and other near microscopic particles nicely in suspension. Cold crashing might force the yeast to drop out of suspension but it may not force the other particles. You may want to degas (either by stirring or by pulling a vacuum (about 22 inches).

Latest posts

Back