Cold Crash / Carb Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooperhonk

Reaction score
I classify myself as a newbie (~5 AG batches so far) but am learning quickly thx to the sawheet advice on this forum.

I am brewing a late season Ofest (faux lager) and it has been in cool ferment (58F) for 35 days or so. How does this sound for a carb/cold crash schedule:

1. Rack to keg from primary. Turn down fridge to 39F. Let sit overnight.
2. Add gelatin to keg. Set carb at 10PSI. (following chart for ~2.4 volumes)
3. Leave at 39F @ 10PSI for 4 weeks in fridge.
4. Bring to serving temp (45F) and serve at 4PSI.

Is this too long to let sit @ 39F/10PSI (I chose this due to a weird travel schedule)?

Do my serving temp/pressure seem right?

I appreciate any and all wisdom here.

Cheers

I would cold crash before transferring to your keg. That way you have less gunk in your keg to worry about. I don't use gelatin, so I cannot comment there. I haven't really seen the need to use it after cold crashing the primary and keg conditioning.

CO2 volumes looks good. 4 psi seems low for serving, I usually keep my regulator set to 10-12 psi, but I am pretty new to kegging.

Pie_Man said:
I would cold crash before transferring to your keg. That way you have less gunk in your keg to worry about. I don't use gelatin, so I cannot comment there. I haven't really seen the need to use it after cold crashing the primary and keg conditioning.

CO2 volumes looks good. 4 psi seems low for serving, I usually keep my regulator set to 10-12 psi, but I am pretty new to kegging.

Thanks PM. Good point on crashing in primary. It will be good to physically see the effect of the cold crash in carbuoy. Any thoughts on leaving a beer carbed at cold temp (39F) for at least 14 dys maybe more? No harm no foul?

Sooperhonk said:
Thanks PM. Good point on crashing in primary. It will be good to physically see the effect of the cold crash in carbuoy. Any thoughts on leaving a beer carbed at cold temp (39F) for at least 14 dys maybe more? No harm no foul?

That's fine. Btw, I cold crash, gelatin then transfer to keg. Works good for me.

Any thoughts on leaving a beer carbed at cold temp (39F) for at least 14 dys maybe more? No harm no foul?

Absolutely not. Most people like to lager right at above freezing temperature. As ar as being carbed goes, that too is not an issue. A keg is just a giant bottle.

Back