Cold crash before transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zplug123

Reaction score
I've got a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone about two weeks into secondary at around 68 degrees. This Sunday I plan on brewing a Rogue Chocolate Stout with the same Pacman yeast. Therefore, this is my plan:

1. Place the Dead Guy batch in an outdoor closet to cold crash until Sunday, temperatures have hovered around 53 to 45 degrees, so this will be enough to create a uniform yeast cake at the bottom.
2. Transfer the Dead guy into another carboy, leaving the yeast.
3. Pour the new, chilled Chocolate Stout wort over the yeast cake, then ferment around 60 degrees.

Does this plan have any holes or flaws?

I've got a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone about two weeks into secondary at around 68 degrees. This Sunday I plan on brewing a Rogue Chocolate Stout with the same Pacman yeast. Therefore, this is my plan:

1. Place the Dead Guy batch in an outdoor closet to cold crash until Sunday, temperatures have hovered around 53 to 45 degrees, so this will be enough to create a uniform yeast cake at the bottom.
2. Transfer the Dead guy into another carboy, leaving the yeast.
3. Pour the new, chilled Chocolate Stout wort over the yeast cake, then ferment around 60 degrees.

Does this plan have any holes or flaws?

I've done the same thing many o time. Sounds like you're good to go.

Back