Cold Break after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsquires

Reaction score
So, my let my beer ferment for a week at 70 degrees. Today i transferred it my bottle bucket. Depending on my patience I was going to let it sit for 2-7 days.
Now here is the question I have, is it beneficial to put my fermented beer in my fridge for a “cold break?” to help everything settle before I transfer my beer into my keg. If so, what is the temperature that my fridge should be at?

You're confusing terms, for one. A 'cold break' occurs during the chilling process before pitching the yeast. What you are hoping to do is 'cold crash' to help unprecipated solids and yeast drop out of suspension. As close to freezing as you can manage for a week or so is ideal - the warmer the temp, the longer this process will take.

I recommend allowing the beer to sit on the yeast for at least two weeks before crashing; while fermentation is over, the yeast are now turning their attention to fermentation byproducts like acetaldehyde and diacetyl.

Also, I don't think you can use your bottling bucket as a secondary. Your going to have more yeast fall out of your brew and this is going to sit right by your spigot.

Also, I don't think you can use your bottling bucket as a secondary. Your going to have more yeast fall out of your brew and this is going to sit right by your spigot.
If he is gonna keg then he won't use the bucket for bottling. Flyangler gives good advice for the future. Good Luck with your brew.

Will cold crashing cause too much live yeast to fall out of suspension and effect bottle conditioning, or is it still recommended when bottling?

mkory - It MAY slow down the bottle carbing just a little but, no it does not get rid of the active yeast. It just helps to clarify the beer. I do it for everything I brew including Hefe's. I just find it helps make the beer the best it can be. It's in no way required, and you want to give the beer at least two weeks in primary/secondary before cold crashing. Actually the longer you give it in primary helps even more I think.

This probably wouldn't really be that different than chilling bottles for a week or two before drinking, would it? (other than having more sediment in the bottom)

Latest posts

Back