Cohumulone levels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been hearing a lot about cohumulone contributing to harsh bitterness in beer. I want to buy some low-cohumulone hops for a IIPA I am doing, but cant seem to find a list of cohum levels in hops. Any suggestions?

thanks. So am I to understand 25% and under is considered low? Also, does it change in relation to AA%? Or is it a it reported as a percent of AA? IE. If two hops at 25% cohumulone have different alpha acids (say 5% and ten%), does that mean one ounce of each would have the same amount of cohumulone or does the 10% have twice as much as the 5%?

The percentage is relative to all of the AA in the hop. You can also see humulone, etc. in a lot of figures. A 10% hop with 25% cohumulone has twice as much as a 5% hop.

The percentage is relative to all of the AA in the hop. You can also see humulone, etc. in a lot of figures. A 10% hop with 25% cohumulone has twice as much as a 5% hop.

This is true. But say you use a 5% AA hop and a 10% AA hop to bitter a beer and both have 25% cohumulone. You'd have to add twice as much of the 5% AA hop to achieve the same bittering. So it sorta negates that.

Latest posts

Back