Coffee malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taulpondolo

Reaction score
Have about 7 oz of coffee malt left over from making m00ps flapjack stout. Any ideas where to use em? Ive read it has more of a toasted bread flavor. My stouts still in the bucket. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I stick it in my porter recipes. I tend to make them dry, lighter bodied and coffee noted (sometimes actually adding coffee). Versus my stouts where I tend to go towards chocolate (sometimes with nibs) and sweeter / heavier. But if you're currently fermenting a dark beer with coffee notes... You might just end up with 2 very similar beers.

Something different than the stout, but still suited for that malt... a light brown ale? You could change the hops and yeast enough vs. the porter where they won't feel like the same beers.

Last edited:
I stick it in my porter recipes. I tend to make them dry, lighter bodied and coffee noted (sometimes actually adding coffee). Versus my stouts where I tend to go towards chocolate (sometimes with nibs) and sweeter / heavier. But if you're currently fermenting a dark beer with coffee notes... You might just end up with 2 very similar beers.

Something different than the stout, but still suited for that malt... a light brown ale? You could change the hops and yeast enough vs. the porter where they won't feel like the same beers.
Sounds like a great idea. I had my fiance "brew" a brown ale from this forum (i forget whos recipe) but it turned out unreal. I was telling her we should do another batch and was debating on adding some of the coffee malt. I dont wanna mess with a perfect brew tho.

Also was debating on making a founders porter esque brew and maybe adding a few ounces or so.

Looks like ill be drinking dark brew into spring this year

Thanks for the response

Latest posts

Back