Coffee grounds or cold pressed coffee in BYO founders breakfast stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe 12 days ago:

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1857-founder-s-brewings-breakfast-stout-clone

6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Briess light, unhopped, malt extract
1.7 lbs. (0.77 kg) light dry extract
22 oz. (0.62 kg) flaked oats
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) chocolate malt (350 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) roast barley malt (450 °L)
9.0 oz. (0.25 kg) debittered, black malt (530 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.19 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Kona coffee
2.5 oz. (71 g) dark, bittersweet baker’s chocolate
1.5 oz. (43 g) unsweetened chocolate baking nibs
14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops (60 min.) (1.1 oz./ 31 g of 13% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (0 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (last 15 minutes)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes
White Labs WLP 001 (American Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast
0.75 cup (150 g) of corn sugar for priming (if bottling)

(I did the all grain version in the link, didn't paste the whole thing as it was getting kind of long) It called for the Sumatran Coffee added 10 minutes before flame out and the Kona Coffee after transferring to secondary for one week before packaging.

I added 2 oz of grounds to the boil being careful to stir so as to not burn the grounds. Sampling over the past 3 days and FG is stable. It has a a very strong coffee taste. I've only once before added coffee to beer, but that was cold pressed coffee added at packaging time.

So does this recipe call for coffee grounds or did it mean coffee like you drink?

I think it means grinds, although I can't be 100% sure. Had the same question when I brewed this on Saturday.

From my own consumption of mass quantities of coffee, I think in retrospect I would use cold brew instead of grinds. For one thing, less crap in the pot/fermenter. For another, I noticed that the mash already had a fairly coffee-ish smell when I first opened the tun, so I'm not sure that blast of standard bitter coffee flavour would be a good thing. Finally, much like dry-hopping, cold-brewing coffee gives you quite a different set of flavours - usually the fruity or floral aromas are more present - so it might be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of a batch made with grinds vs. a batch made with cold-brew.

I did grounds at flameout and will do cold brew at bottling time.

Back