coffee blonde ale recipe / attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So I'm going to brew my version of a Coffee Blonde Ale. I'm an extract / partial mash brewer. I'm going to be brewing this weekend Here is what I've come up with beer smith:

Steeping Grains:
8 oz Flaked Wheat
4 oz Vienna Malt
4 oz Crystal 10L

Extract:
3.3 Pilsen Light extract
3.3 Golden Light extract (last 20 minutes of boil)

Hops:
0.5 oz Centennial 60 min
0.25 oz Centennial 30 min
0.25 oz Cascade 15 min
0.25 oz Cascade 5 min

Yeast:
Safale US 05

After primary fermentation is done, and just 1 day before bottling I'm going to add 12oz of cold brewed coffee (I know lots of people say just use beans and others say cold brewed in bottling bucket right before bottling so I'm going to try this and see what happens)

im guessing it didnt turn out blonde because of the cold pressed coffee addition. When I made a Coffee Kolsch, I did the whole beans and didnt really get much darkening of the beer at all

hi, I havent added the cold brew yet, I am doing that on the weekend. I do not expect the color to be that much darker

subbed. I'm interested to see how this turns out. I've been eyeing the all grain recipe, but haven't made the switch to all grain yet.

I will post picture after I put the cold brew into the bottling bucket to mix it.

I didnt get to bottle this yet. Doing it this weekend finally.

coffee-blonde-66685.jpg

finally got to bottle it. Here is the image after the coffee was added. the picture makes it seem much darker. While most of my home brews have come out darker than I have expected, this isnt that dark. the picture just makes it look that way. I was hope for a yellow is color but it is more gold in color than brown. It is a very clear beer. Just the right amount of coffee taste. The aroma is definitely as a mix coffee and ale. The taste starts like a blonde but the finish and aftertaste is coffee. Im very happy with how it came out.

next time I open an AIPA or Belgian dubbel, I'll take a picture to show the differences in color.

Nice! I'm glad to hear it turned out well. Now to plan my next trip to the LHBS.

what would you suggest if i wanted to get only the aroma of the coffee? coldbrew or beans?

cold brew and beans both have caffeine and aroma, so there is no way that I know of to get just the aroma.

I hate to necro an old thread, but thanks for posting... it was exactly what I was looking for. Buying the ingredients now.

I hate to necro an old thread, but thanks for posting... it was exactly what I was looking for. Buying the ingredients now.

Here's another revival! Made it mostly as is from the extract version above and it was a huge hit. The only difference is I kegged the blonde plain, got it to serving temp, and added a bag with 8oz (by weight) of Starbucks Pikes Place whole beans for 16 hours. I probably should have taken it out at 10 or 12 hours or reduce coffee weight l, as I think the coffee was a bit strong in aroma and aftertaste.

Anyway, like I said, the couple people that tried it loved it. Brewed it again recently with a bit more hops and only about 1.5lbs of extract for full boil, the remainder extract added at 15 minutes from finish. Should be drinking it in about 8 days from now.

Latest posts

Back