Coconut Porter/Quad/Stout Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
A beginner home brewer here. I am looking for a relatively easy to make coconut porter, quad, or stout. I like high ABV, 8% and up. My favorite beers are Lickinghole Creek Coconut Quad and Coconut Delight, Oscar Blues Death by Coconut, etc.

All grain please! and I am willing to buy something prefabbed if it is going to be coconut heavy.

Carafa special III 3%
Pale chocolate malt 8%
Crystal 80 6%
Crystal 120 2%
Maris otter 81%

Mash high

Bitter to 35 -60 ibu depending on SG
Hop at 15 mins with perl

Ferment with London ale yeast

Dry spice with dried toasted coconut

Never brewer this before, just made it up sitting on the train

A beginner home brewer here. I am looking for a relatively easy to make coconut porter, quad, or stout. I like high ABV, 8% and up. My favorite beers are Lickinghole Creek Coconut Quad and Coconut Delight, Oscar Blues Death by Coconut, etc.

All grain please! and I am willing to buy something prefabbed if it is going to be coconut heavy.
Hi. Here are two threads that cover what you're looking for. I've got what I thnk is a very good recipe (though not as "big" as what you might want,) and I know that @woo_pig has one as well. I'd be happy to share it with you if you want. Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=632419
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=593702

I haven't brewed the beer in the link below but have made others if his recipes and they're solid, I would say his tasting notes are very accurate to what to expect. This isn't an 8% + beer but you could play with upping the grain amounts to get you there if you really want something in that range.

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/12/coconut-vanilla-milk-stout-recipe.html

Unless you have some help or experience from another homebrewer I would caution you on going with a "BIG" beer as one of your first brews, there's a lot that could go wrong.

If you do go with something bigger you'll want to use multiple yeast packs or build a starter. You'll likely have to raise the temps a little bit towards then end of fermentation to get the yeast to finish up.

Are you doing BIAB and "traditional" all grain? If BIAB you'll need to know how much your kettle can handle without overflowing, if traditional all grain you'll want to know what to use for your mash thickness. In either style you'll want to know what your extract efficiency is because many recipes will be designed for 70-75%, if yours ends up being in the upper 60's, you won't end up with the beer you're looking for.

Sorry for the rant if you've already looked into what I've stated above, but I know many new brewers want to jump in all at once before they have their process down and end up making mediocre or throw away beer and assume it's the recipe or that homebrewing can't give them what they're looking for.

@woo_pig Would you be willing to write out a quick brew guide step by step for what you did? I am going to attempt this.

@woo_pig Would you be willing to write out a quick brew guide step by step for what you did? I am going to attempt this.

You pretty much follow this recipe. After your fermentation is done transfer to secondary add 2 lbs of toasted coconut that have been soaking in coconut vodka for a week.

Back