Coconut Porter, Normal? (Picture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey, so I did a Coconut Porter it was done fermenting with literally no krausen left on the top, beer looked completely clear. Last night, I added two hop bags of toasted sweetened Coconut (each bag had two whiskey stones to weigh them down). The bags ended up floating after initially sinking anyways, I also added some toasted coconut just on the top straight into the fermenter, not in a bag.

Anyways, this is what it looks like this morning, is this normal?

20140117_080150.jpg

Looks normal, relax. There are residual sugars from the coconut that the yeasties are eating. What you have is a classic secondary fermentation right there...

If the "cap" looks dry take a sanitized spoon and push it back into the beer. If left to dry enough it WILL grow mold.

Very normal. I had the same question and posted it to the infection thread. It was perfectly okay.
I didn't add coconut straight in there because when you rack to your bottling bucket, you may clog your racking cane.

If the "cap" looks dry take a sanitized spoon and push it back into the beer. If left to dry enough it WILL grow mold.

Oh? It does look pretty dry. I'm at work and can't push it in until later - also I leave town tonight until Sunday. Will it be okay?

Oh? It does look pretty dry. I'm at work and can't push it in until later - also I leave town tonight until Sunday. Will it be okay?

So I was able to sneak away from work and push down all the crud and get it saturated. I'm back home now and it's back on the top again drying out. If this is gonna happen every few hours, how often am I supposed to do this and will it be okay when I leave town this evening until Sunday afternoon?

I would just empty the bags into the carboy and leave it. Cold crashing when it's done will drop everything before you transfer to the bottling bucket anyways.

So I was able to sneak away from work and push down all the crud and get it saturated. I'm back home now and it's back on the top again drying out. If this is gonna happen every few hours, how often am I supposed to do this and will it be okay when I leave town this evening until Sunday afternoon?

Just don't let it dryout for more than a couple days.

Next time you can throw some stainless steel bearings in the bag to weigh it down.

You may have better luck in the future using unsweetened coconut. Anyways I made a coconut beer using a carboy... once. After that I've used bucket fermenters since it's much easier to just tie the coconut up in a bag with a larger weight in it - less racking issues that way.

How would you get the coconut back out? I had an extremely difficult time getting it through the small neck of my secondary carboy, I just didn't even want to imagine getting it out at the time. Is there something that dissolves coconut?

Back