Cocoa nibs, chocolate powder, and coffee beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxkiskekyxx

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out the best way to introduce these ingredients into my beer without adding appreciable color. I'm thinking anything in the boil will extract considerable color as well as anything placed at flameout. So the only really viable option seems to be using them in the secondary. Is this true? Also as far as flavor extraction would I be sacrificing a large portion of flavor by just attempting to use them in the secondary? I'm not trying to make an very dark beer.

There's some good info here and here about dry hopping with coffee beans and nibs. That should extract the flavor without adding too much color. You could do the same with the cocoa nibs.

The other option would be to make an extract by soaking the nibs and coffee beans in vodka while you are in primary and secondary, strain it through a coffee filter and add the liquid at bottling. The extract will be dark, but with only the few ounces of vodka you would need it shouldn't affect the color too much either.

Unless you are using a pad filter, don't use chocolate powder. The other two should be fine either in secondary or extract like stated above.

It's hard to say what your coffee will taste like if you add it during the mash, boil, or primary stages. Best bet is to cold brew it and add to bottling bucket at bottling time. Add a little at a time to TASTE. Be sure to mix it in w/o introducing to much O2. I add 1 cup in about 1.75 gallons. 60 oz once into 11 gallons was a little to much.

In my Chocolate Coffee Stout, I used 4oz of cold pressed espresso in the boil during the last 10 minutes. Then once my beer was in secondary I added an additional 4oz of the cold pressed espresso and 8oz of cacao nibs. I let that sit for 4 weeks. (5 gallon batch)

I wouldn't recommend adding ANYTHING to the primary pre-fermentation. Let the yeasts do their job during that phase. Add all flavorings at flame out, or in secondary. I used a fruit extract in my Hefe at bottling, but recommend any natural flavorings to be in secondary to allow their extracts to slowly blend evenly throughout the beer.

Back