Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjhockey

Reaction score
In my first attempt to force keg I set the regulator at 12psi, and under 24 hours my 25lb tank is half gone, is that normal or is it possible I have some sort of leak?

Definitely a leak somewhere. Carbing should use only a small amount of Co2. Get a spray bottle with soap and water and spray down your connections.

Was the tank warm (room temperature) initially and then you noticed the change after it was cold? Keep in mind that cold pressure on a tank is quite a bit lower than warm pressure. I am not sure of exactly what the difference is on a 25# tank but this might explain some of the pressure drop.

Definately check for leaks as well with some spray, and use your ears to take a good listen around the connections. You might be able to hear the leak as well.

Good Luck, hope you figure it out.

Get a squirt bottle filled with Star San solution and squirt it all over the regulator, fittings, etc... look for bubbles. If it is a leak, which is sounds like it is, you should be able to pin-point it.

I just picked up 13 Kegs that I wish to test for Air tightness. So I rigged up a tire Valve with a small piece of hose and a ball connector, so I can put 20 or 30 psi in each empty keg with my air compressor without wasting any CO2. After a few days, I can take a reading with my tire gauge and see if it leaks, if it does, then I'll do the soap & water around the fittings.

Cheap and effective
I'll let you know how it works out

dp

In my first attempt to force keg I set the regulator at 12psi, and under 24 hours my 25lb tank is half gone, is that normal or is it possible I have some sort of leak?

How do you know it's half gone? Did you weigh it?

Unless you know the tare weight and add that to the current weight you are guessing.

Like McKBrew sez: I'll put it another way if you are relying on the gauge and it was warm and now it's cold that's not an accurate indication. From my experience the CO2 tank gauge is not a good indicator of the amount of CO2 you have. Most people that I've talked to say the same thing other's insist that their gauges give them an great indication.

I just picked up 13 Kegs that I wish to test for Air tightness. So I rigged up a tire Valve with a small piece of hose and a ball connector, so I can put 20 or 30 psi in each empty keg with my air compressor without wasting any CO2. After a few days, I can take a reading with my tire gauge and see if it leaks, if it does, then I'll do the soap & water around the fittings.

Cheap and effective
I'll let you know how it works out

dp

I do something similar, I've got a gas in connector and hose connected to a male Quick Disconnect fitting so I can plug it into the end of my compressor hose. I'll run the compressor to 30 PSI then fill and test the tanks for leaks with san-star.

If I don't see any bubbles I put them up for storage and only test again just before the next use to see if they still have pressure by pulling the pressure relief valve if they have good pressure I'll use them if not I do more investigation.

Back