CO2 volumes for commercial kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvjackson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any way to find out the carbonation levels of commercial beer kegs? I have my home-brew kegs pretty well balanced but don't know what to do for commercial kegs. I can look up the recommended carb levels for a style, but that's just a guess. Also, I've heard that commercial kegs are usually a little overcarbed...?

Any advice for serving from commercial kegs?

Any way to find out the carbonation levels of commercial beer kegs? I have my home-brew kegs pretty well balanced but don't know what to do for commercial kegs. I can look up the recommended carb levels for a style, but that's just a guess. Also, I've heard that commercial kegs are usually a little overcarbed...?

Any advice for serving from commercial kegs?

Best way to find out is call or e-mail the brewery. The vast majority of commercial keg beer is carbed to 2.7 vol though, to work well with the serving systems that were already set up for BMC.

OK, I didn't even think of asking the brewery. I just shot off a few emails, lets see what happens.

But 2.7 vol seems like a plausible all-purpose number. I doubt most bars are fiddling with the CO2 regulator every time they switch a keg, so it makes sense that there would be an informal standard.

Back