CO2 Transfer Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with a carboy cap not providing a good seal when doing CO2 closed transfers from glass carboy to keg? I struggled for well over an hour yesterday trying to get my beer to siphon and it was very hit or miss. Ended up having to auto siphon the last gallon or so just because it was so cumbersome.

My problem was that I'd get the liquid flow started and it would soon stop and go no further. I never went more than 1-2 psi and I also know I didn't have any beer clogging issues in either the tube, quick connect or keg. So my best guess is that my problems were related to the seal of the cap. I didn't want to push much above 2-3 psi so I never went higher. However, even if the seal was the problem I would have thought that once I got the flow started, it should have continued on its own simply because of gravity (my carboy was on the workbench and the keg on the floor). Any ideas what may be causing such poor siphoning ability? Racking to my kegs just hasn't been good to me lately & I can't figure out why! I am guessing user error, but not sure how or where bc this should be pretty simple.

I use a worm clamp and make sure not to exceed 2 psi at the start. Once beer is visible in the tubing I back the pressure down to where it's just above the stop and let gravity do most of the work while backfilling the increasing head space with CO2.

Key is patience. Being in a hurry could be an explosive problem.

One tip: carboy caps swell from prolonged exposure to Star San and won't hold pressure worth a damn afterwards....

Cheers!

I use a worm clamp and make sure not to exceed 2 psi at the start. Once beer is visible in the tubing I back the pressure down to where it's just above the stop and let gravity do most of the work while backfilling the increasing head space with CO2.

Key is patience. Being in a hurry could be an explosive problem.

One tip: carboy caps swell from prolonged exposure to Star San and won't hold pressure worth a damn afterwards....

Cheers!
A worm clamp on the base of the carboy cap and the liquid out tube I don't currently have so that may certainly help improve my transfer and seal any leaks. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back