CO2 & Temps below 40°F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisendrath

Reaction score
My kegerator resides in the unheated breezeway between the house & Garrage. This week it is seeing temps in the 20's. The digital controller says it's 34°F in there. With the CO2 pressure unchanged, I notice that the beer coming out seems to be lower in carbonation when the temp goes below 35 or so. Anybody else notice this? Anybody know why? At any rate, it's time to move the unit into the living room.... The wife won't notice a Kenmore 8.8 for a couple of weeks,,,,,,,, right?
:mug:

most likely the cold is numbing your tastebuds and you arent noticing the extra carbonation. as long as your tank isnt empty and the low-side pressure remains the same, carbonation level will always increase with decreasing temperature.

how new is the regulator? new regulators tend to 'creep' down on psi as their insides 'break in'. once it stops creeping the first time though it shouldn't creep ever again after replacing a cylinder.

The CO2 line pressure gage has held steady, so I'd rule out the regulator.
I'm wondering if it is a phenominon of water below 40°. The specific gragity of water increases as water goes from room temp down to 40°F, then it decreases from 40° to 32° and then we all know what happens at 32°. The water changes cristalline molecular structure at 40°F. Maybe that funkifies the H2O / CO2 relationship......

At any rate, the kegerator is right next to the christmas tree right now.

Latest posts

Back