CO2 tanks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptpeter

Reaction score
Hi,

This may be a really dumb question but im just wondering if you can use a paintball co2 tank to pressurize/carbonate a corny keg? im guessing a 20oz co2 tank might be to small but its worth a wonder. I guess I just feel i rather not spend alot of money on something that really doesnt seem like it should be expensive.

you know my dad mentioned this on the phone to me last night. im curious too if anyone has tried this.

Two issues:

1) Pressure control. You have no regulator on a PB tank. They are filled by weight and get pressurized to the same pressure as a CO2 tank - in the 800lb range. To use a PB tank then, you need to regulate the pressure down to your 10lb range.

2) Connection. PB tanks use a different connector (compared to a standard CO2 tank.) So, you would need to adapt your regulator to the PB tank.

If you solve both these issues, you can use a PB tank. The CO2 in the PB tank is the same as the CO2 in a regular tank. Make sure your PB tank stays in the vertical position, else you'll be allowing liquid CO2 into your regulator/beer - not a good thing...

Co2 is Co2 and in the UK probably the most common form of carbonating a keg is by using an unregulated source of co2 at a pressure of 800 psi. If you can fit you co2 source to your cylider inlet then youre fine whatever type of tank you use.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try rigging a system that can handle 2000 psi. It's the regulator that's pricy. You can get used tanks cheap at welding supply places.

Back