Co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibao123

Reaction score
Any one can help giving information how much CO2 gas can fill maximum in 5 gallon tank by weight ? I just filled in gas store only get 1 kilogram weight.

LOok at your filled pressure and realize that it is telling you the temp first. The best way is to do an immersion test but most folks do not have a means for doing that. The gas place willl fill a cylinder as much as they can legally. They dont want to under or over fill a bottle for various reasons. Safety being the top of the list/ You can rest assured that 2.2 Lbs of liquid co2 is a good bit and probably all they can legally pt in that size cylinder. It's mpt much of an answer but it;s the best I got. And remember to keep your owners papers on that cylinder as long as you have it. That just avoids hassles later on, trust me..

Wheelchair Bob

Thanks Rbeckett, I think find bigger tank 20 lb so can save more gas. But there only steel tank available in store here ( indonesia) . I am worry using steel one as corrosive steel cause unsafety or contaminate the gas and harmfull to health, maybe this silly question.

Bob is a little off on that answer. A 5 pound CO2 tank holds 5 pounds of liquid.

Your tank should have a Tare Weight stamped on it. You can place the tank on a scale and subtract the Tare Weight from the reading. That will tell you how much CO2 is in the tank.

A CO2 cylinder is filled to 68% of the water weight capacity of the tank. A 5 pound CO2 cylinder holds 3.4 liters of water which weighs 7.4 pounds.

7.4 * 68% = 5 pounds.

The 32% "empty" space is there to allow for expansion due to temperature.

If your gas supplier charged you for a 5 pound fill, and only put 2.2 pounds in, then they shorted you.

Do not be concerned with the steel tank. They are perfectly safe to use.

Back