Co2 tank way lower today but i cant seem to find the leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
I came home today and checked on my carbonating beer, not that i can do much but just stare and smile. I noticed that the high pressure gauge is much lower than it was yesterday, i sprayed all my gas connections with starsan and i see no bubbles what could be going on here?

The regulator is not a good measure of whether you're losing gas or not. You really need to weigh the tank to tell. A 5lb tank weighs 7.5lbs when empty.

Check the weight of the tank compared to the tare/empty weight. When you leave your co2 tank in the fridge the high pressure gauge drops.

Ooh ok great thank you both. Unfortunately i only have my hops and herbs scale but ill trust you guys since there is no bubbling from the connectors cheers!

How many kegs have you gone through? The gauge moves very little over the course of a few kegs and then drops like a rock when its empty/near empty

Where is your tank located? Large temperature changes can cause the gauge to read differently.

The tank is in my kegerator right behind my keg sitting at 40f

How many kegs have you gone through? The gauge moves very little over the course of a few kegs and then drops like a rock when its empty/near empty
This is my first ever keg. I did notice that the needle has gone up again so im a little confused at this point l.

Ya, will notice a significant drop in pressure if you went from ambient temp to serving temp.... Is that the case or did it happen in the kegerator?

Ya, will notice a significant drop in pressure if you went from ambient temp to serving temp.... Is that the case or did it happen in the kegerator?

My keg and and co2 were chilled before kegging and yes it happened in the kegerator.

Based on my own observations, a filled tank will usually read around ~750 PSI if not refrigerated. Once refrigerated, the pressure will drop to and maintain ~500 PSI until all the liquid CO2 is gone, then it will drop very rapidly to zero. What does your tank pressure read now?

Based on my own observations, a filled tank will usually read around ~750 PSI if not refrigerated. Once refrigerated, the pressure will drop to and maintain ~500 PSI until all the liquid CO2 is gone, then it will drop very rapidly to zero. What does your tank pressure read now?

Ill have to check when i get home this afternoon but ill let you know

as others have said you need to weigh your tank. It should have a tare weight stamped into it somewhere. a bathroom scale should give you a close enough estimate to what is going on.

Sorry for the delay but the gauge is sitting right under the 40 mark.

as others have said you need to weigh your tank. It should have a tare weight stamped into it somewhere. a bathroom scale should give you a close enough estimate to what is going on.

Ill have to stop by my mothers and borrow hers :p

A 5lb tank weighs 7.5lbs when empty.

Not at all true. The Tare Weight (TW) is stamped on EVERY tank.

Did the OP chill the tank? It's normal to see the pressure in the tank drop to about 500 psi when in the fridge. It'll stay there until right before its empty.

Not at all true. The Tare Weight (TW) is stamped on EVERY tank.

Did the OP chill the tank? It's normal to see the pressure in the tank drop to about 500 psi when in the fridge. It'll stay there until right before its empty.

The place where i dropped off the tank chilled it down to freezing temps before they filled it for me.

40 bar I assume (not psi)? Then your tank is somewhere between 5-95% full.

Mass is the only way to know 100% though.

Yeah right below the 40 bar on the hpg. Ill just have to weigh it out like you folks have mentioned. But ar this point it's been holding steady so i would say im leak free. Thank you everyone for the help.

Latest posts

Back