CO2 Tank Keeps Running Empty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scripto

Reaction score
Ok, so recently I converted a Danby commercial kegerator to accept both pin lock and commercial kegs. All seems to be working perfectly, EXCEPT I keep running out of CO2. I got a new CO2 tank filled on Friday, drank a couple beers on Friday night, and the tank is empty today. Not to mention this tank was an exchange for a similar situation which happened the week before. Picked up a new tank on Mon., by Fri. tank was empty. When I got home and connected my tank this is what the tank read. I called the store when it said only 40% but they explained that is what it should read? Not sure if I have a leak, or where the CO2 is going? But I need to get to the bottom of this. Any suggestions?

IMG_20130322_151222_515.jpg

Get a spray bottle with some star-san solution and spray it around all your connections and look for it to bubble up. Sounds like a leak to me.

Sound like a leak, mine lasts months with two 5 gallon kegs hooked up.

Are those plastic clamps on your gas line? They may not get tight enough to seal. Also check your gasket between regulator and tank. I think I have the same regulator. It has a rubber oring where it connects to the tank? I also went through a couple of tanks really quick until I added a gasket at the regulator. Since then I have dispensed about 10 kegs with 1 tank.

Good Luck

Like Cabby said, without the grommet at the connection of regulator to tank it will leak steady.

I use 50# tanks at work and have seen them run out over night when someone fails to put the grommet in.

Check those cheap gauges, I had a regulator that was leaking behind the face of the gauge! I got so frustrated trying to find the leak that I threw the whole thing into the bath tub!

Ok, so recently I converted a Danby commercial kegerator to accept both pin lock and commercial kegs.

If this is an "old sanke coupler that was laying around" it may be leaking. When looking for those Starsan bubbles, spray the coupler down. I have one that only leaks if it is in a certain position.

Ok, I am going to trouble shoot the connections this morning. As far as what the gauge reads, does that gauge look like it is of a full tank, even though I only show 40%? Also there is this one metal switch right below where the gauge connects to the tank. I am not sure what this switch does. I have tried opening it and closing it and do not notice any difference. Will try the star stan spray now. This is a brand new kegerator and sanke, but I recently converted it to accept pin lock as previously mentioned.

Crank the regulator way up, if you have a leak you will hear it or the soap solution will find it. If that doesn't work throw the whole thing in the tub, just make sure you take the guages and regulator apart and dry them with a hair dryer.

As far as what the gauge reads, does that gauge look like it is of a full tank, even though I only show 40%?

Since most of the CO2 in the tank is in liquid form, unfortunately the gauge generally tells you absolutely nothing about how much CO2 is left in there until you're very close to running out. The only way to know is to remove the regulator, weigh the tank, and subtract the tare weight which is stamped on the tank.

Cabby58 said:
Are those plastic clamps on your gas line? They may not get tight enough to seal. Also check your gasket between regulator and tank. I think I have the same regulator. It has a rubber oring where it connects to the tank? I also went through a couple of tanks really quick until I added a gasket at the regulator. Since then I have dispensed about 10 kegs with 1 tank.

Good Luck

If you have a rubber washer e tween the regulator and the tank, that may be your problem. Those are single use only. You need to get a Teflon or vinyl washer from your full location - those are multi use. I blew 2 20# tanks before I figured that out.

Also, check the line connections - if they were at all lose before you put on the clamps, they can leak. Anything that foams up (sudsy water, the fluorescent leak finder, Star San) should help you find it. I haven't had a problem since I force fit my hoses. You take a hose that is too small, heat it up in boiling water so it softens, and then push it on the barb.

Back