CO2 setup cost effective?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
OK, I’m a big plain seltzer drinker, sometimes flavored! Would a setup to charge my own bottles be worth while? Does a charged bottle have the same intensity as an off the shelf product?
I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used rig for $70. Regulator, 5lb tank, hose and pet capper!
I‘m not even sure if I want this size tank, or go 10lb! 35E11DCF-8DB0-43F2-B7E3-F2E2E9A58414.jpeg980988D8-23B1-4AF8-90C2-3F877169C6BF.jpeg

Does a charged bottle have the same intensity as an off the shelf product?
It should! You can get up to 60 psi (!) with that regulator.

As long as you avoid having leaks, a 5 pound CO2 bottle can save your bank account, compared to buying little seltzer bottles or cans.

Most gas places will swap, rather than fill. Ideally you want it refilled on the spot, while you wait.
If you want to keep that shiny tank, you'll need to find a place in your area that fills. So call around and get pricing, before you need a refill.

But yeah, a 10# or 20# CO2 tank can be even more frugal. As long as you avoid leaks.

Are you gonna keg your seltzers?

I should! You can get up to 60 psi (!) with that regulator.

As long as you avoid having leaks, a 5 pound CO2 bottle can save your bank account, compared to buying little seltzer bottles or cans.

Most gas places will swap, rather than fill. Ideally you want it refilled on the spot, while you wait.
If you want to keep that shiny tank, you'll need to find a place in your area that fills. So call around and get pricing, before you need a refill.

But yeah, a 10# or 20# CO2 tank can be even more frugal. As long as you avoid leaks.

Are you gonna keg your seltzers?

It looks like it has one of those plastic ball lock to soda thread caps, to carbonate each bottle at a time.

That is simple, requires less equipment, and less likely to have leaking issues if you turn the cylinder off when done.

Cons: you have to carb each bottle as you go.

I think it's a great way to start, and if they love it they can look into kegging it. It's nice to be able to pour a big glass of seltzer from the tap whenever.

For what it's worth, I have never been able to replicate store-bought seltzer.

When I had a big keezer, I dedicated one keg & tap to seltzer. I would carbonate somewhere around 30-40 psi and it was great being able to pour it whenever I wanted, but it wasn't quite as carbonated as store bought.

Then I downgraded to a 3-tap kegerator, and bought some carbonation caps to use the method listed above. I would fill up a 2-liter bottle with water, hook it up to the regulator, then shake the heck out of it to get it as carbonated as I could. It was never quite carbonated enough for me.

I recently went back to the sodastream, which is quicker at carbonating and does a better job. I have an adapter to fill the sodastream tanks directly from my 5lb tank so that I'm not spending a fortune on their co2.

But no matter which method I try, it's not the same as the store. If I drink a can of seltzer from the store, I get some great burps. That doesn't happen when I make seltzer myself.

Back