Co2 regulator gauge query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkyP

Reaction score
Tried search and Google this but couldn't find anything, only new to kegging just got my gas and kegs, the regulator gauge that reads the amount of co2 in the gas tank isn't at zero, it's at like 50 bar or something even though I have the gas turned off, should the needle go to zero once I turn the gas off or does it constantly read the gas pressure of the tank. I could be mistaken but I taught it was going to zero previously once I turned the gas off

Thanks for any help guys

Last edited:
If the regulator is tightly coupled to the tank and all of its fittings are leak-free, where's the gas trapped in the regulator going to go?

I'd be happy you have a nice tight regulator :)

Cheers!

So is it normal for the gauge that reads how much gas is left in the tank not to drop once the gas is switched off. Was getting worried because I taught the needle was at zero when I turned if off last night. And now it's not when I turned it off tonight.

Also what is the exact steps for turning on and off the gas, which valves do I open first etc

To answer your question, yes the gauge will continue to "read" the last measurement after you turn the gas off. There is still pressure from the tank to the regulator in the line. When you turn the tank off it does not suck that gas back in, it is trapped in the line, hence the reading.

Now a question for you. Why are you turning the gas off every night?

I only got the gas and kegs yesterday have no beer ready to be keg so Iv just been messing around with my new toys ha, make sure kegs are sealed. Is there a problem with the gas been in the regulator, doesn't seem to be a pressure releif valve.

You're good. The pressure in the line & regulator is no problem. The line is still pressurized because you haven't done anything to relieve the pressure...when you turned the knob to shut the gas off you stopped the flow of gas but that doesn't remove the gas that's already in the line. That's completely normal. If you had it hooked up to a keg you could pull the pressure release valve and you'd see the gauge go down to zero but there's really no need.

Thanks for the quick replys guys, was getting worried I busted it somehow by not opening and closing everything in the right order, so if my gas line is connected to my keg what's the exact order I turn on and open valves etc,

With my setup, which I think is typical, I just connect the gas line(s) to the keg(s) then turn the gas on. Then I adjust the pressure with the adjustment screw/knob on the regulator and if the pressure is too high, lower it then relieve the extra pressure by pulling the pressure release valve on the keg for a second or two. Some regulators also have their own pressure relief valve but it sounds like yours doesn't.

Just some info for a new kegger: The valve on your tank was meant to be ALL the way open, when in use, just for future reference.
The valve is designed to seal at both extremes, ( open and closed), which doesn't mean that you have to "smoke it" all the way open.
Just firmly to the open stop.

Enjoy kegging!

Latest posts

Back