CO2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLuciano

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Kegco K309 Kegerator that I recently received as a gift. I changed out the CO2 Tank for the first time this past weekend. From what im reading online the high pressure gauge can read out at 650-850psi (this number is from memory but correct me if im wrong) depending on temperature when its a new tank.

I can not remember for the life of me what my high pressure gauge read out at on the first tank I had in there - everything was pouring great so I never thought to check that - I only monitored the low pressure gauge to adjust the foaminess.

Now I noticed my high pressure gauge started at about 1000psi when I first put the new tank on it. But now its down to 500ish so I am thinking either there is a leak or thats just what it drops to after adjusting to the temperature?

But arent you supposed to get ready to get a new tank when it hits the red area in the high pressure gauge? I know a 10lb CO2 Tank should last about 10 1/2 kegs and this is only the first one so I am worried.

Another note - my low pressure gauge I keep around an 8-9psi - that seems like the sweet spot for the length of the hose & beer type.

Any help on this would be much appreciated and if there is something I didn’t include that you may need to know in order to help just let me know!

PS - I’ll attach an image of the guages in my next post once I figure out how to do that lol

Thank you,
Will

Does the tank live inside the kegerator? Cold CO2 has lower pressure than at room temps.

But primary pressure on the tank is not an absolute indication of fill level unless it's down in the red zone, which means you're likely running on fumes.
Weighing the tank periodically and monitoring usage is the only certain way to tell if there's a leak.

Now you can check for leaks any time, but it's not easy to find small ones.

Back