Co2 Pressure Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicBomb

Reaction score
I'm now setup with a keezer, trying to master using it...

I notice that when I turn up the pressure on the Co2 regulator, the gauge goes up to the right pressure. When I turn the knob back, the pressure does NOT go back down, at least not very much anyway.

I'm thinking of things like adding a new keg into a system already setup and wanting to up the pressure (to say 20-30 PSI) to get a solid seal in the keg before dialing it back down to say 14 PSI.

I've found the only way to get it to go down is to relieve pressure from one or more kegs until it levels out, then dial it back up.

Is this the correct way to dial in a Co2 canister?

Yes, that is the way the regulator functions. Once you set it to, say 20 psi, the keg and gas lines fill to 20 psi of pressure. Trying to decrease the pressure setting won't affect the reading on the gauge until you purge the excess pressure from the keg.

when you increase the pressure at the regulator, you need to release it in order for it to drop back down. pull the relief pin and the pressure will drop for you.

Back