Co2 level gauge under refrigeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jett78

Reaction score
This is my second time kegging and my first attempt resulted in my Co2 leaking out completely, so I'm a bit concerned. I brought my corny keg to MoreBeer and they tested it and replaced the o-ring.

I kegged yesterday, and I'm told that the Co2 level gauge will go down about 200-300 under refrigeration. It has been under refrigeration for about 20 hours or so and the gauge shows just under the green. My question is, how far down should I start to worry? I've been spraying the heck out of all the connections with soapy water and I am not finding any leaks. I dumped 4 gallons the last time I kegged and don't want to do it again.

While bobby is right, typically, mine is always in the red once it cools off in the fridge, even when full.

RDWHAHB. If you really are leaking, and you've leaked enough to cause the needle to fall, it means you are about to run out of gas, so you'll know very shortly. If the needle is only falling because of temperature, your gas will last a while.....worrying won't change anything about this situation, so just RDWHAHB.

No reason to dump your beer, because when you carbonate doesn't matter. A keg can sit for months before carbonating, it can be carbonated an then sit or even re-carbonated as needed.

Back