CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theseeker4

Reaction score
So I set up the third keg in my keezer today. The keg is brand new, and I cleaned everything with PBW, sanitized with StarSan, used keg lube, all o-rings are new, keg held pressure well while waiting to be filled. I kegged my beer, hooked up the gas line, and purged the keg. I then sprayed everything down with StarSan, including the gas connection at the manifold, the gas in, the keg lid, etc. and no bubbles indicated any leaks. A few hours later, I notice a sound when I walk by the keezer, and I can hear the gas rushing through the regulator. I made the mistake, in hindsight, of shutting off the gas to the new keg at the manifold to confirm that the new keg was the source of the leak, but when I turned it back on to that keg, the leak was gone. No sound of any CO2 rushing back in. I sprayed everything down with StarSan and nothing was leaking that I could see, I checked the connection at the manifold, the connection at the gas in coupler, the lid of the keg, the pressure release valve, and even the beer out connection, all with no bubbles. I also could no longer hear the gas rushing through the regulator. The only thing I can think of, is I pulled up the pressure release valve after I shut down the manifold, and before I turned the manifold back on, so if the PRV was stuck slightly open, I could have caused it to re-seal. Is there something that I might be missing that could be a leak, that would seal like that after turning the gas off and then back on? Pretty new to kegging, and don't want to waste more gas than I have to. TIA.

You describe a rushing sound at the regulator like to have a big leak. From your search it seems like the leak isn't all that big. 9 times out of 10 if I have a leak its at the pressure relief valve. I recommend playing around with the PRV to see if it has a slow leak.

Latest posts

Back