Co2 leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel_scum

Reaction score
So I just opened up my keezer a minute ago and when I put my head in to attach a gas line I inhaled something that smelled/tasted like battery acid. It took my breath away and nearly made me black out!

I checked all my connections with soapy water and no bubbles. Any idea what this could be??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unless you store car batteries in your keezer, that's CO2. You've got a leak somewhere and it isn't that small.

• Did you check the lids and posts/QDs? Hose connections?
  • Regulator and connection to the CO2 bottle?
  • Leaky CO2 valve perhaps?
  • Manifolds?

Thanks! Found a small leak on one of the unused QD's. Barely bubbled- and I checked every other connection and the release valves.

Hope that gets it-

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well... it's handy that this thread was here, because I'm completely over troubleshooting a leak in my draft beer system.

I replaced the gas manifold. I replaced the tap. I replaced the fittings. I haven't replaced the gas line--I have line, but there aren't any visible marks in the one I'm using. I'm using flat thumbscrew clamps that aren't likely to nick the line and they tighten down tight.

I've gone through 7 tanks of CO2, all leaked into the fridge after no more than 2-3 days. I've sunk the whole thing into a sink to check for bubbles in the water. Once installed, cooled down & retightened, I've sprayed everything down with soapy water to check for bubbles in the air. Nothing. The only thing I haven't checked is the keg itself, but it looks fine. I'm tired of wasting time & money on CO2 to find this leak. I have no idea what to do next.

Encouragement, anyone?

Commercial 1/4 keg from the local Total Wine... bring it in & have them check it? I've sprayed the connection at the sankey tap body, but saw no bubbles.

The thing is... this is a Bell's Two-Hearted. When I picked it up after ordering it, they sent me home with a Bell's Oberon. I knew there was something wrong when I poured it. I brought it back, and they supplied the correct keg. Things have only gotten worse since that point. If it's the keg... I'm just going to have to write that place off altogether.

I went out & got an empty keg on deposit. It held CO2 for four days with no drop in volume. So... it appears... it was the keg. F$&# me.

Latest posts

Back