CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurdyGood

Reaction score
Hey everybody, thans in advance for any help. I am relatively new to kegging, and I am trying to troubleshoot a CO2 leak in my system. I have a 1-regulator, 2 keg system with a T. It was fine until a couple weeks ago, when I noticed my tank slowly getting lower and lower every day, and I wasn't drinking off of it.
So I got the tank refilled, tightened all the hose clamps, and set the pressure to my serving pressure (12PSI) but I did not connect the gas lines to the kegs, so I could (theoretically) check for a leak at one of the hose clamps or the lines. The pressure in the tank held at a constant level for ~12 hours, so I assume that is not where the problem is.
Next, I connected the lines to the kegs, pressurized them, and then disconnected the gas to both kegs to see if the kegs held pressure. Both kegs seemed to hold pressure fine, ie no leak at the o-ring or the pressure-relief valve.
I then re-connected the lines and set to serving pressure, and watched the CO2 level inside the tank drop very slowly. Does this sound like a bad seal at one of the gas connections? I put some keg lube on both posts, but did not disassemble them. This "leak" ran my tank dry last week, and I don't want it to happen again. Should I just disassemble the posts, clean them, re-lube them, and try again?
Again, Thanks in advance for any help. You guys rule.

Put some starsan in a spray bottle and spray the different connectors. It will bubble where there is a leak. Alternatively soapy water will do the same thing, but don't get it near your beer!

I just resolved the same issue. Turn your pressure up. I went to 45 psi and found an ever so slow bubble.

It's a PITA but I just went through this with my system. As mentioned use some starsan and take your time looking for leaks. Pipe fittings are always prone to leaking as are kegs posts and lids.

IGNORE the gauge. It means NOTHING. In fact, if you put your CO2 bottle in the fridge, the pressure on the gauge will drop by itself. The gauge only tells you "has CO2" or "empty". It will remain at the same reading, (at a constant temperature), until the CO2 runs entirely out, at which time it will drop instantly to 0.

You may or may not have a leak, but don't use that high pressure gauge, (with the "red zone"), to figure out if you do.

Spray starsan and look for bubbles.

Latest posts

Back