Co2 Leak detection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
I've got a dual gauge 25# co2 tank n gauges outside my side by side fridge. One gauge controls the pressure to the distributor in the conditioning side of the fridge and the other to a distributor on the serving side. So I have 6 hoses distributing co2 from two manifolds each with individual one way valves. I'm losing an entire 25# tank in 48 hrs. Anyone else troubleshot a co2 leak with success? What did you use?

Spray a very dilute soapy solution on all of your connections. You will spot the leak in no time when you see bubbles forming. I would unhook everything and hook up one connection at a time and test. Keep repeating until you hooked everything back up so you are not wasting CO2 when you are looking for a leak.

Check all your gaskets and replace if old.

Mix some dish soap with water and spray down all the connections. You will see bubbles where the leak is. I've heard some people say that a strong star san solution will do the same job. Good luck tracking the leak.

learned how essential hose clamps are as well as to make sure they are very tight after setting up my freezer with 2 kegs in it the other day

didn't lose the entire 20# tank thankfully but not sure how much I lost in the 15 hours or so before noticing that 1 hose didn't have a hose clamp on it after opening the lid and hearing the hiss

also had a leaky release valve on one lid that I was able to pinpoint by using a sprayer with starsan

What really bums me is that Ive had these Kegs set up and running for 2 months now and suddenly I get a leak?? WTH??? I did the soapy solution and I see some very very slow leaks at the shut off of the distributor one way valves..Leaks thru the shaft/nut of the lever..These are new, could they really be the culprit?

Here's a pic of the Fermentation/Conditioning Side Distributor Set up

Iphone Camera 198.jpg

can you tighten the nut?

maybe it just wore itself a little loose or shipped a little loose from the get go

Back