CO2: Is it all the same??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natnov

Reaction score
I just started kegging my brews and got my co2 tank filled at a local paintball store b/c I didn't want to give up my nice new shiny aluminum bottle at the airgas exchange place. I was just curious if co2 is co2 no matter what the intended use? Is it "food grade" as it will be in contact with the brew? Do I need to worry about anything growing in a tank from some welding shop or paintball shop? I figured nothing much could handle the pressure, temp, and liquid co2 to live in a tank...but thought i would ask. Thanks
Nate

CO2 is CO2.
I have my kegerator tanks filled at a place that handles restaurant fountain service*. My 20 and 24 oz Paintball tanks ( for SWMBO's Italian Soda and Porter ) are filled at the paintball shop around the corner.

If you find a supplier that meets your costs requirements and will fill while you wait... use them and tell your friends how cool they are.

It's been a while since I've been home in PDX. But I think you could find a supplier on Columbia Boulevard ( St John's AKA NoPo.)

*I manage a restaurant - I could tap my own CO2 but I like keeping my job.

there are 2 grades of CO2

Medical grade: You cannot get without licences

everything else: should be the same quality regardless of where you get it (paintball field vs fountain drink place)

I just got my co2 tank from a brewer who stopped brewing, it still has 700psi and he said it has been in there for several years, is it still good? Does co2 go "bad" and make your beer smell like rhino farts?

Not unless the tank was compromised at some point when it was empty. There's nothing that can get into a pressurized tank that would cause what you are describing.

Back