Co2 gauge takes a while to regulate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salz

Reaction score
I set my psi at 20 (it's a high carb. style)

Over 4 hrs. or so it drops to about 12psi

I turn it back up to 20

Over the next 8 hrs it drops to 16

I turn it back up to 20

Over next 4 hrs it drops to 18

I turn it back up to 20

Now it is holding at 20

Is this a typical process? Does everyone else have to fiddle around with the PSI gauge before it evens out? Maybe because this is such a high carbonation?

Did you put your CO2 tank in the fridge? If it was used to room temp and then you changed the environment by putting it in the fridge then the pressure within the tank would also change as it cooled and you would need to readjust the regulator until the tank was at a stable temperature. This was also something I experienced the first time I hooked up my system.

Did you check all your connections/lid for leaks? A slow leak in the line could be causing pressure loss, but not if it stays stable after the last time you set it to 20.

How long has it been since you last turned it back up?

Tank is outside fridge.

It has now been holding at 20psi for about 36 hrs now. Just seems like I have to keep adjusting it for the first day or so. This is the second high carb. beer I have made and the same thing has happened to both

I do have to adjust it back up a bit on a lower carb. style but not as much.

If I have a leak somewhere, wouldn't it stay at 20 psi and just keep leaking gas until I'm out? I have plenty of gas in my tank.

Tank is outside fridge.

It has now been holding at 20psi for about 36 hrs now. Just seems like I have to keep adjusting it for the first day or so. This is the second high carb. beer I have made and the same thing has happened to both

I do have to adjust it back up a bit on a lower carb. style but not as much.

If I have a leak somewhere, wouldn't it stay at 20 psi and just keep leaking gas until I'm out? I have plenty of gas in my tank.

Yeah, that could be the case... some regulators are just finicky, mine is like that somewhat in hitting the initial pressure.

are you turning off your main valve between settings? ie, you set to 20 by

a) turning on your main valve
b) setting the reg to 20psi
c) turning off your main valve

?

Or do you leave your main valve open between readings? I can't imagine how you could have your reg psi creeping down if your main valve is open, save (a) you have a gross leak or (b) you're essentially out of CO2.

If you are shutting the main valve and your tank is outside the fridge while the beer is inside, the cold beer is sucking the CO2 into solution and decreasing gaseous pressure. That is, the cold liquid will cause the CO2 to go into solution and if there is no supply from the tank (the main valve is shut), the pressure will decrease over time.

However, one weirdness is: when you open your main valve on the warm tank, it should pop back to your pre-established pressure, not wait for you to re-adjust your regulator knob. You shouldn't have to re-adjust your reg knob, opening the tank main valve should cause the pressure to go back to 20psi.

Tell us some more.

I have the same regulator and same issue. It seems like as the beer is carbing the regulator is lazy and takes some messing with to get it right.

I have the same regulator and haven't really had any issues with it. Are you leaving the gas valves on the manifold open?

I have the same regulator and haven't really had any issues with it. Are you leaving the gas valves on the manifold open?

What do you mean by "manifold"?
I keep the valve to the CO2 tank open and the regulator valve to the keg open. The second regulator is set to zero and the valve is shut off. I do not have the second regulator hooked up to a keg at the moment.

I'm on my 4th day of carbing and the past 2 days the gauge has been holding at 20 PSI. It is just frustrating that I have to keep adjusting it the first couple days.

I have the same regulator and same issue. It seems like as the beer is carbing the regulator is lazy and takes some messing with to get it right.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little better knowing others go through the same issue.

What do you mean by "manifold"?
I keep the valve to the CO2 tank open and the regulator valve to the keg open. The second regulator is set to zero and the valve is shut off. I do not have the second regulator hooked up to a keg at the moment.

I'm on my 4th day of carbing and the past 2 days the gauge has been holding at 20 PSI. It is just frustrating that I have to keep adjusting it the first couple days.

Sorry I meant regulator valve. I am pretty new to kegging so wasn't sure of the terminology. The way I set my regulator is to close the valve and then turn the knob until the gauge reads my desired pressure and then I open the valve. The next day it might be over or under about 1 psi but it is usually right on the money when I do it this way.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little better knowing others go through the same issue.

Don't feel better, your regulator is broken or defective.

As long as the tank valve is open and the low pressure side is connected to the keg and the temperature is not varying wildly, the regulator should stay at the same pressure until it empties the CO2 cylinder. I buy TapRite regulators and this is how the operate.

Chris

Back