CO2 Filling in Raleigh, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesutton3

Reaction score
I tried this in the regional boards but only recieved three views so I'm going to give it a shot in the higher traffic area.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get 10 lb CO2 tanks filled in the Raleigh area? So far I've found $30 and up for 10 lb filling. I've also tried National Welders and they only swap tanks and don't have 10 lb tanks.

I use American Brewmaster off of the belt line. Expensive but the only place I can find.

Oops, I would clarify on the swap issue then. I drop my tank and get it back the next day. No issue, they send it to the regional filling station about 40 miles away. They do it for all the homebrewers and paintball guys because no one wants to give up their shiny new tanks. Try a different airgas location too.

Pye Barker Fire & Safety Inc
832 Purser Dr # 101, Raleigh, NC
(919) 779-4010

Is a good place for fills and hydro testing. You have drop off and pickup.

Edit.

Machine and Welding is great but they only do exchanges.

3401 S WILMINGTON STREET
RALEIGH, NC 27611
(919) 772 9500

As has been said, American Brewmasters in Raleigh, Metro Fire & Safety in Durham or Aviator Brewing in Fuquay. Aviator just recently began filling tanks so I haven't used them yet but it's a great excuse now to get to the brewery. All will fill tanks so no exchange needed.

Just as an update, I google searched for a while and called basically everyone I could find that fills. The minimum for 10 lbs is $30. Everyone else was within $5.

Air Gas and Machine and Welding only exchange tanks of 5 and 20 lb. Since I have a 10 lb tank this doesn't help much.

Just as an update, I google searched for a while and called basically everyone I could find that fills. The minimum for 10 lbs is $30. Everyone else was within $5.

Air Gas and Machine and Welding only exchange tanks of 5 and 20 lb. Since I have a 10 lb tank this doesn't help much.

Thanks for the effort. I'm actually headed to ABM tomorrow to fill my 5lbs tank and shell out $25 just because it's convenient. Derp.

Thanks for the effort. I'm actually headed to ABM tomorrow to fill my 5lbs tank and shell out $25 just because it's convenient. Derp.

If you are in Durham, why not go to Metro Fire and Safety? It's closer and they only charge $20.

I visited Bull City HB yesterday and noticed that they were stocking co2 tanks. Thy said that they were going to start selling refill.

Definitely check out BCHB - great selection and pricing.

Bull City Homebrew in Durham has started filling tanks now. They're always very helpful when I visit, unlike the negative experiences I've had at American Brewmaster in Raleigh, which is much farther for me to drive anyway.

$22.99 for a 5 lb fill.

www.bullcityhomebrew.com

what sort of negative experiences have you had at American Brewmaster?

Their customer service and knowledge has gone down since the former general manager left to start a brewery and a homebrew store. For those in southern Wake County, Carolina Brewing Company in Holly Springs will fill a 5 # canister for $20 and a 10# for $30. The will fill it while you wait during the week.

Their customer service and knowledge has gone down since the former general manager left to start a brewery and a homebrew store.

I find this statement amazing.

I have been going to American Brewmaster for close to 15 years, and over the past 4 years watched the former manager go from being an extract kit brewer up to a bjcp judge. He always spoke poorly of the owner and didn't seem to be interested in helping anyone but himself. To be completely honest my friends and I always found him condescending and thought his customer service was horrible. I believe he is an employee of the new venture and I don't believe he is starting anything but another venture to promote himself.

The current staff at American Brewmaster is very knowledgable and I believe 2 of the current guys are former or current commercial brewers.

I find this statement amazing.

I have been going to American Brewmaster for close to 15 years, and over the past 4 years watched the former manager go from being an extract kit brewer up to a bjcp judge. He always spoke poorly of the owner and didn't seem to be interested in helping anyone but himself. To be completely honest my friends and I always found him condescending and thought his customer service was horrible. I believe he is an employee of the new venture and I don't believe he is starting anything but another venture to promote himself.

The current staff at American Brewmaster is very knowledgable and I believe 2 of the current guys are former or current commercial brewers.

Hmm...so you join HBT yesterday and your first and only post is badmouthing the former employee while praising the owners/current staff of American Brewmaster? Somewhat suspicious...

Anyway, I've had both good and bad experiences at this store. It's convenient to stop in during my lunch hour and have my CO2 tank filled but it's also expensive. The past/current staff and ownership has been a mixed bag in my opinion. I've had times with great customer service and other times where the staff and owner has ignored me or been rude. I am not the only one either.

I don't know very much about the previous staff member who is starting the new venture but I think I know who you are referring to (Federal). Isn't his new venture a brewery in Raleigh down by Meredith?

I don't know very much about the previous staff member who is starting the new venture but I think I know who you are referring to (Federal). Isn't his new venture a brewery in Raleigh down by Meredith?

It is in Raleigh near Meredith and is called Raleigh Brewery. In addition to the brewery, they sell commercial brewing equipment and late last week they announced that they would be opening a HB store inside the brewery too.

As for the different HB stores around, I can't say I've had a bad experience at any of them. They each have their advantages with Bull City being their grain room where you can buy by the ounce instead of prepackaged but AB seems to have a better selection of equipment.

Fortunately for me, I work near BC and live near AB so I get to enjoy them both.

I'll have to check it out. I work over by the Fairgrounds so both AB and the Raleigh Brewery are fairly close to me. Nothing very convenient near Garner though, which is where I live.

There is a new homebrew store called Out Back Brewing Supply that opened Friday in Clayton. Its in the Riverwood area. I haven't been in the store yet, but I believe they have a CO2 tank exchange.

There is a new homebrew store called Out Back Brewing Supply that opened Friday in Clayton. Its in the Riverwood area. I haven't been in the store yet, but I believe they have a CO2 tank exchange.

A homebrew store and brewery (Deep River opening soon) in Clayton! :ban:

I see more trips to Clayton in my future.

I'll have to check it out. I work over by the Fairgrounds so both AB and the Raleigh Brewery are fairly close to me. Nothing very convenient near Garner though, which is where I live.

I think I read they were having a soft opening December 15th but I didn't see a date for a grand opening.

what sort of negative experiences have you had at American Brewmaster?

For me it was mostly an attitude issue. It always felt like they couldn't care less that I was there, and whenever I asked a question the response wasn't rendered in a helpful way but rather in more of a dogmatic "we know the only right way to brew" kind of way, which wasn't actually helpful to me when I was doing something a bit unusual (stove top all-grain small batch brewing). When I walk into a store I want to be greeted and to be made to feel like I'm a valued customer. I also want and expect employees at what is effectively a "hobby shop" to take an interest in what I'm doing so they can help me find a solution to whatever issue I'm facing. I hope others have had better experiences, and that I just caught them on a few bad days.

I don't want to hijack this thread and don't want to make generalities about a place so I won't say much more...this was just one person's experience going there 2-3 times over a year ago, and hopefully it's changed since then. Take it with a grain of salt.

I'm just glad there are multiple shops around for us to choose from, and that I have a closer store here in Durham that I like a lot more. Nate and Kyle at Bull City Homebrew are not only absurdly knowledgable, but they're also just really good guys who want to be helpful, which I really value when I shop there. That's why I don't go anywhere else now. Again, this is just my opinion and my 2 cents, but that's how I feel.

I can say from first hand experience of helping out for a while at AB a few years back that the rudeness, condescension, and general negativity came from employees that no longer work at that store. Even with a discount, I stopped shopping there but have been back now that they are gone. Knowing what I now know about certain peoples "customer service and knowledge" and a behind the scenes on how he REALLY feels about customers, I will be happy to spend my money anywhere but Raleigh Brewing Company.

tommygunn said:
Nate and Kyle at Bull City Homebrew are not only absurdly knowledgable, but they're also just really good guys who want to be helpful, which I really value when I shop there. That's why I don't go anywhere else now. Again, this is just my opinion and my 2 cents, but that's how I feel.

Ditto, love that place and I'm glad to see that they keep growing and growing. Their hop selection is nuts (don't overlook the back room). They've even started stocking 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs at a fair price (especially if you have the 10% off shirt). Anyway, if I sound biased its because I want them to be successful, they seem like decent guys.

FYI for future people wondering, you can purchase CO2 tanks (filled) from Simplex Grinell (Mike) for $60 (they're off Civic Blvd in Raleigh off 440 near Knightdale), or from Machine & Weld Supply (0ff Rt 401) for $76 filled. MUCH cheaper than the empties online for almost that same price which still need to be filled, or from high priced LHB shops which usually charge around $100....

Back