CO2 distribution. Need some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeTheHopDog

Reaction score
Planning out my Keezer build and need advice on CO2 side. Want to mount the CO2 tank on the outside and I plan on having 3 taps, 1 Sanke and 2 Homebrew. Will a 3 way distribution block be sufficient or should I go with 3 secondary’s? Distribution block or secondary's will be mounted inside. 3 secondary’s jumps the cost about $100, so is it worth the expense? Drink mostly IPA’s and various other ale’s and lagers.

I have a fridge that fits 4 corny's. I mounted a 5-port block with check valves in the fridge. And ran a line to the regulator on the outside of the fridge. It works fine for me but it would be nice to have a dual regulator for force carbing. The fifth port is nice as its always available for cleaning or purging without disconnecting a keg.

the choice between secondary regs or manifolds/blocks depends on whether or not you will EVER want to carb at differing volumes. Ever do wheats or belgians?

I have a fridge that fits 4 corny's. I mounted a 5-port block with check valves in the fridge. And ran a line to the regulator on the outside of the fridge. It works fine for me but it would be nice to have a dual regulator for force carbing. The fifth port is nice as its always available for cleaning or purging without disconnecting a keg.

That's what I'm thinking, but if I get 2 regulators, I'll still neen a manifold to split it up, at least a 2 port. Might as well get three regulators for a bit more.

Why not use a manifold? I just bought a 4 port for $60.

Sorry, called it a distribution block, not a manifold.

the choice between secondary regs or manifolds/blocks depends on whether or not you will EVER want to carb at differing volumes. Ever do wheats or belgians?

I do want to be able to carb while serving. Some have said to just cut out the serving valves and bring the pressure up. Crack them back open for a bit when needed.

Haven’t brewed any wheat’s or Belgians, but I have a Grand Cru coming up pretty soon on my "To brew List". Anyone know if a Grand Cru going to require different pressure?

I run a dual primary setup to make life easy when I need different pressures. On one of the regs I have a dual manifold, the other reg has a single outlet. This gives my two tap system an extra line that is easy to grab to CO2 purge and what not newly filled kegs as they go into the lagering fridge.

That's what I'm thinking, but if I get 2 regulators, I'll still neen a manifold to split it up, at least a 2 port. Might as well get three regulators for a bit more.

Sorry, called it a distribution block, not a manifold.

I do want to be able to carb while serving. Some have said to just cut out the serving valves and bring the pressure up. Crack them back open for a bit when needed.

Haven’t brewed any wheat’s or Belgians, but I have a Grand Cru coming up pretty soon on my "To brew List". Anyone know if a Grand Cru going to require different pressure?

When I started kegging, I already had a tank and single regulator. I just bought the 5-port block and was up and running. I have been able to make everything work fine but, if I was starting from scratch, after using my setup for a while now, I would at least go with a dual regulator. Probably even a triple as I also make soda for the kids.

Just think through what you would like to accomplish with your system and if you can afford the components, set it up right the first time. You wont be sorry that you have 2 or 3 dedicated pressures to choose from. Even if they usually end up set the same, you at least still have the option.

When I started kegging, I already had a tank and single regulator. I just bought the 5-port block and was up and running. I have been able to make everything work fine but, if I was starting from scratch, after using my setup for a while now, I would at least go with a dual regulator. Probably even a triple as I also make soda for the kids.

Just think through what you would like to accomplish with your system and if you can afford the components, set it up right the first time. You wont be sorry that you have 2 or 3 dedicated pressures to choose from. Even if they usually end up set the same, you at least still have the option.

I couldn't agree with you more and that what I'm going to do, 3 regulators. Even SWMBO told me the same thing you did, do it right the first time. Gotta love that girl! ;)

I live 5 minutes from MicroMatic's Southeast Warehouse where I could go and pick up anything they sell, so I checked out their website for regulators. Man, they are nice, until you look at the prices. They are proud of them. I’m thinking I’ll just work with KegConnections to put everything together in one big package.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

At minimum I'd use a dual regulator. If I were only going to have three kegs, I'd just use secondary regulators. If I were going to have a lot of kegs, I'd use the dual in conjunction with the manifolds. Ideal it would be nice to have a regulator for each keg, but for the cost of it I couldn't justify it at this time (have 8 kegs).

Keg connection is a pretty good store; I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them again. Just double check your order when you get it. Make sure the kegs hold pressure and you have the right posts on the kegs. I had a keg that wouldn’t hold pressure, but they sent me a new pressure relief vale. I also found a keg the other day that had two gas posts, but I haven’t contacted them yet (probably won’t since I ordered a few months back). If you get manifolds specify which ones you want (the straight ones or blue ones). Also, I highly recommend the taprite regulators with the red adjustable handle.

Here is a picture of my manifold. I don't have the second one hooked up yet.
Keezer-Gas-Lines.jpg

at minimum i'd use a dual regulator. If i were only going to have three kegs, i'd just use secondary regulators. If i were going to have a lot of kegs, i'd use the dual in conjunction with the manifolds. Ideal it would be nice to have a regulator for each keg, but for the cost of it i couldn't justify it at this time (have 8 kegs).

Keg connection is a pretty good store; i wouldn’t hesitate to order from them again. Just double check your order when you get it. Make sure the kegs hold pressure and you have the right posts on the kegs. I had a keg that wouldn’t hold pressure, but they sent me a new pressure relief vale. I also found a keg the other day that had two gas posts, but i haven’t contacted them yet (probably won’t since i ordered a few months back). If you get manifolds specify which ones you want (the straight ones or blue ones). Also, i highly recommend the taprite regulators with the red adjustable handle.

Here is a picture of my manifold. I don't have the second one hooked up yet.
keezer-gas-lines.jpg

i want it!!! ;d

Went ahead and ordered my regulators yesterday. Decided on MicroMatics from BeverageFactory.com. Yea, more money then the ones that come from KegConnections, but cheaper than buying direct from MicroMatic and picking them up at the warehouse. Also ordered the rest of the parts I’ll need from KegConnections (Kegs, faucets, etc.). Ben does a great job helping set up exactly what you need. Now I just need a freezer. Here’s what I got for regulators...

Primary.jpg

Secondary's.jpg

I agree with the comment about "setting it up right the first time". I went cheap and got the basic kit from KegConnection. I should have gotten the two-keg dual regulator kit...by the time I bought a second keg and all the stuff needed to hook it up, I ended up spending the same $$$ but with a single regulator. I should have cheapened out on the CO2 bottle--they sent me a nice new one, but I couldn't find any place to fill it so I ended up doing the swap at a beer distributor. Bye bye nice new bottle.

Back