CO2 blanket for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
I've got a lager that I plan on transferring to a secondary this weekend. Fermentation is complete and I am slightly worried about letting the beer sit in a carboy for an extended period of aging without a CO2 blanket for protection. Are there any good methods for creating a CO2 blanket in the secondary vessel? I was thinking of adding a small bit of diluted corn sugar that has been boiled and cooled when transferring and letting it sit at fermentation temps for a couple of days before putting in the lagering fridge.

Are there any unforeseen problems that I am not thinking of when doing this? Or any better suggestions?

I've got a lager that I plan on transferring to a secondary this weekend. Fermentation is complete and I am slightly worried about letting the beer sit in a carboy for an extended period of aging without a CO2 blanket for protection. Are there any good methods for creating a CO2 blanket in the secondary vessel? I was thinking of adding a small bit of diluted corn sugar that has been boiled and cooled when transferring and letting it sit at fermentation temps for a couple of days before putting in the lagering fridge.

Are there any unforeseen problems that I am not thinking of when doing this? Or any better suggestions?

I've never brewed a lager before but I know with my ales when I transfer over it is slightly naturally carbonated. Aka co2 is in solution enough that when I take a hydro reading there are visible bubbles. I'm assuming you don't a have a kegging setup? My guess is whatever little bit of o2 you pick up will be absorbed and your being paranoid. Rdwahahb. .. it is after all Charlie P's birthday!

I have 2 kegs, they're both in use. And fermentation has long since ceased. The lager is going on 7 weeks in primary right now. Hit FG after week 2.

I have 2 kegs, they're both in use. And fermentation has long since ceased. The lager is going on 7 weeks in primary right now. Hit FG after week 2.

Buy more kegs. I have 8 and wish I had more. If you had a spare I'd say purge gas into it via the diptube and rack into keg. When full purge again and place in fridge under zero pressure with no o2........... in other words buy more kegs. Regardless your still worrying over something that is pretty negligible.

I remember way back we did an experiment to see how much CO2 was in carbonated water (seltzer).
We rubber banded a surgical (rubber) glove to the neck of a freshly opened bottle of seltzer and watched as it filled up. LOT of CO2 in a liter (back then quart) of soda water..:D

bosco

Back