Cloves and cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
How much do you usually add to get a good flavor. I added 3 cloves and 3 sticks of cinnamon in primary. Tasted after 5 days no flavor. Then boiled 2 cloves and 1 stick and added for 3 more days. Racked to secondary with little to no flavor or smell. Now added 2 more sticks and 5 cloves and will leave for 4 weeks and rack. Is this to much do you think? 5 gallon batch.

Leave those spices in longer, you'll get more flavor. 3 cloves & a cinnamon stick should provide a nice level of flavor, depending on your personal taste, after a month or two. You might want to taste it once a week to see how it's progressing & pull the spice when you think it's enough spice flavor. You can always add more later if you like.
Regards, GF.

Izzie I can't say much about sticks and cloves but I added 1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice to 6 gals and it was overwhelming at first, but mellowed out nicely over a month in the bottle. Maybe dry spices pack more of a punch that the sticks. Just a thought for the future.

Back