Cloudy beers turning clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseRYC

Reaction score
So i've noticed that some of my cloudy brews (wits, weizens, etc.) are cloudy and have nice profile at first but after a week or so they start to turn noticeably more clear. Any input as to why this is happening? If it helps, I currently keg all of my beer. I also frequently ferment at higher temps than recommended, around 78-79 degrees F. It is hot here in the desert and as of now can only ferment at room temperature. Thanks for any help/advice.

The yeast and other sediment is settling out. Invert your kegs once a week for beers that are supposed to be hazy.

Put a tsp of white flour in the last 10 mins of the boil, it works for me! If I'm not mistaken it's Biermuncher's trick.

Put a tsp of white flour in the last 10 mins of the boil, it works for me! If I'm not mistaken it's Biermuncher's trick.

That will keep them hazy, however the flavor and maybe mouthfeel of the beer may change since the yeast are no longer suspended.

So the sediment and yeast settle in ALL beers. Even the ones that are supposed to be hazy/cloudy? And shaking/agitating/inverting your kegs will take care of this?

Just to be a little more thorough, I want to Add that this takes place in very short periods of time. The clearing starts to become evident after only 1-2 weeks. Is it common for this to occur this soon?

Just to be a little more thorough, I want to Add that this takes place in very short periods of time. The clearing starts to become evident after only 1-2 weeks. Is it common for this to occur this soon?

Definitely, 1 or 2 weeks at 35 to 45 degree temps will make it all drop out pretty fast. It most beer styles its a good thing, however in wheats, its a bad thing. Most wheat beers will have some level of permanent chill haze that won't go away, if you don't have that, then flour will fix it as noted above.

Ok cool. Using flour doesn't add any taste or flavors? I'm thinking that a tsp of flour in a 5 gal batch is negligible.

I just invert my keg once a week or so to keep my wheat beers hazy. As for your temperature issue, build a swamp cooler! It will cost you 5 bucks and it actually works.

5 bucks?...from the projects I've seen on here, they look like they cost quite a bit more than that.

I think I paid around $4 for the rope-handled tub and the pop bottles I freeze I dont' count since they are just going back to recycling anyway. Ok, so figure .10 each. Yeah, right around $5 for the whole thing.

Back