Cloudy Beer in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDey78

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA in an attempt to clone Bell's Two-Hearted Ale last Saturday (10/1/11). I used the yeast I cultured from a six-pack of Bell's Amber. It's been a week and there isn't much flocculation and the beer is very cloudy. The air lock is still bubbling, but I've never had a beer take so long before the yeast settled out. The room in which it's fermenting is between 65-70 degrees right now. Am I just being impatient, or is something possibly wrong?

Is it done fermenting? Take a gravity reading to check. If your pitching numbers were low (which is possible if you didn't step your dregs up gradually enough), you'll get a slower fermentation than you are used to.

Otherwise, a week isn't really all that long. I wouldn't be worried yet. How's it taste?

I haven't taken a gravity reading yet because the airlock is still bubbling a few times per minute. I stepped up the yeast starter, but it was probably too little yeast still. I'll give it a few more days and then take a gravity reading.

One week isn't a lot of time. And since every brew is different in some way,I say let it be. Brewing beer is like pit bbq,it's done when it's done. I've learned this over the course of time with mine. The cloudiness will dissipate over time as well. That's just yeast in suspension,typically. It'll settle out.

Go to the library, find the thickest book on the shelves, check it out and read it. Then, check on your beer.

Seriously, leave it alone for a couple more weeks. It's doing just fine.

Back